New part bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stumped

Reaction score
I am doing preventive maintenance on my 1996 302 Bronk. I replaced the ICM because its original. Now I get a check engine light every time I crank it. The auto parts store metered it and said its the ICM. They reset it but it comes back. I take off the negative battery cable and it resets it until the next crank cycle. I ordered the ICM from Summit Racing. Any ideas on how to get rid of the check engine light permanently? Could it be a bad ICM? Thanks...

chuckles1856

Reaction score
I am doing preventive maintenance on my 1996 302 Bronk. I replaced the ICM because its original. Now I get a check engine light every time I crank it. The auto parts store metered it and said its the ICM. They reset it but it comes back. I take off the negative battery cable and it resets it until the next crank cycle. I ordered the ICM from Summit Racing. Any ideas on how to get rid of the check engine light permanently? Could it be a bad ICM? Thanks...
It might be a bad new part. I replaced an ERG valve on a vehicle and within a week the check engine light was back on. I thought the code puller was broke when it said it was the ERG after I had changed it.

When you say the auto parts store metered it are you saying they pulled the codes for the check engine light?

Do you still have the old ICM? Maybe put it back on to see if the check engine light still comes on.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I personally would not be surprised if the new part was bad.

If the old ICM didn't do this, then there is something wrong with this one.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo stumped,
As Tiha advised.
In our 96 Bronco, bought new, I replaced our original ICM with a Motorcraft ICM.
On 21 May, 2019 I purchased a 96 Ford Bronco 5.0 ignition control module, Motorcraft® DY 1077 from Rock Auto.

I received it 23 May and noticed the usual Motorcraft® logo wasn't impressed on it.
The box looked the same as what I have purchased in past from our local Ford dealership.

I e mailed Ford Global Brand Protection and asked, "is this is a genuine Mototocraft part?"
Here's the reply;
"After reviewing the information you provided, the part you purchased appears to be genuine. The OE current model part does not have a Motorcraft/Ford logo on it and looks like the part in your photo. Since the vehicle model year for this part is very old the supplier of the part most likely has changed. Also we have not had any prior issues with Rock Auto selling non-genuine parts."
Lisa W.
Ford Motor Company
Global Brand Protection
313-317-4776
"What Is Global Brand Protection?
The Global Brand Protection group exists to protect the consumer by ensuring high quality original equipment parts are used in your vehicle that are recommended by Ford Motor Company. Counterfeit products potentially compromise consumer expectations because they do not meet Ford Motor Company’s rigorous testing and quality control standards.

Global Brand Protection focuses on:
Preventing the distribution of and removing counterfeit parts from the marketplace
Ensuring that the company’s trademarks are used appropriately
Maintaining the integrity of the sale and distribution of Genuine Ford parts..."
Ford | Global Brand Protection

OP
OP
S

stumped

Reaction score
thanks for the input. I did have Oreillys put the meter on it and they said its showing the ICM as the problem. I ordered the ICM from Summit Racing and the box says STANDARD GF5728B. They are willing to refund or exchange and say its the correct part for it. Maybe I should go with Rock Auto to get the Motorcraft part. I will try putting the old part back on but it was fine before I took it off. I ordered and got a pickup coil from them too but haven't put it on yet. Maybe I should send it back too. I just want to start replacing stuff on a 26 year old truck which stranded me when the coil went out.

Motech

Reaction score
Being the first year of OBD II compliance and the last year of both the Bronco and the Windsor 5.0, Ford had to improvise to achieve Cyl ID compliance. As such, the ICM for 1996 is unique, usually black in color vs grey of years past. The old style will work, but it will immediately set a code as it is not delivering the proper monitoring signal the new EEC V PCM requires for OBD II parameters.

My advice?

ICM is not a maintenance item, and if it ain't broke, why spend the duckets? Clean up your old one, put it back in there and return the incorrect part for a refund.

OP
OP
S

stumped

Reaction score
I already had the replacement ICM ordered and this time from Rock Auto. I got the grey motorcraft replacement and it seems to be working fine. The new black replacement from Summit racing was a dud and they didn't even want it back. That caused the check engine light. By the way, the thermal grease is kind of hard to find but you can order it from Wallyworld(Walmart) which makes life easier than looking at the auto parts stores..

Motech

Reaction score
By the way, the thermal grease is kind of hard to find but you can order it from Wallyworld(Walmart) which makes life easier than looking at the auto parts stores..
Everyone sells it, labeled as "Di-Electric Grease"
(Also, all the TFI modules I've sold--and that is several hundred easily--come with a little packet of it in the box)

OP
OP
S

stumped

Reaction score
Well, the check engine light is back on with the DY1075 motorcraft grey module ICM. Oreillys computer and Rock Auto says its the right part but on line the guys are saying its a DY1077 motorcraft which the earlier emailer also said. 1996 Bronco 5.0. Any wisdom out there?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Stumped,
It's so unfortunate that the catalogs in virtually every auto parts store, real and online, list the wrong ignition control module for those of us with 1994+, or TFI-CCD, trucks

On 21 May, 2019, I purchased a 96 Ford Bronco 5.0 ignition control module, Motorcraft® DY 1077 from Rock Auto.

I received it 23 May and noticed the usual Motorcraft® logo wasn't impressed on it.
The box looked the same as what I have purchased in past from our local Ford dealership.

I e mailed Ford Global Brand Protection and asked, "is this is a genuine Mototocraft part?"
Here's the reply;
"After reviewing the information you provided, the part you purchased appears to be genuine. The OE current model part does not have a Motorcraft/Ford logo on it and looks like the part in your photo. Since the vehicle model year for this part is very old the supplier of the part most likely has changed. Also we have not had any prior issues with Rock Auto selling non-genuine parts."
Lisa W.
Ford Motor Company
Global Brand Protection
313-317-4776
"What Is Global Brand Protection?
The Global Brand Protection group exists to protect the consumer by ensuring high quality original equipment parts are used in your vehicle that are recommended by Ford Motor Company. Counterfeit products potentially compromise consumer expectations because they do not meet Ford Motor Company’s rigorous testing and quality control standards.

Global Brand Protection focuses on:
Preventing the distribution of and removing counterfeit parts from the marketplace
Ensuring that the company’s trademarks are used appropriately
Maintaining the integrity of the sale and distribution of Genuine Ford parts..."
Ford | Global Brand Protection

Motech

Reaction score
First off, have you confirmed the code is an IDM code P0351?

Secondly, why did you not just reinstall your original unit?

Here we can see the difference:

1994 Ford Truck Bronco Full Size V8-302 5.0L – Ignition System

1669543279564.png

In the above, 1994 5.0L Bronco diagram, we can see there is no IDM (Ignition Diagnostic Monitor) output from ICM.

1996 Ford Truck Bronco Full Size V8-302 5.0L – Ignition System

1669543300191.png

In the above, your 1996 5.0L Bronco diagram, we can see the IDM (Ignition Diagnostic Monitor) output from ICM pin 3.

That is the difference between EEC IV (OBD I) and EEC V (OBD II), and is the reason installing the old-style ICM in the newer setup generates the IDM code.

It is very tricky finding the right ICM for your truck. Even the Ford database is incorrect most of the time. The ideal method is to cross reference the number on your original unit.

When I look it up, I find the Ford part number to be 5U2Z-12A297-D, which crosses to Motorcraft # DY1077. (Note Motorcraft is NOT OE Ford just as AC Delco is NOT OE GM. It is the Ford aftermarket OEM brand, but there is a difference between Ford and Motorcraft parts, just as there are different part numbers, and that is the difference between OE and OEM)

Below is an excerpt from a posting by a moderator at FullSizeBronco.com that seems to have nailed it as well as any other source I've seen:

Remote Mount Gray TFI-IV "Push Start" ICM
Ford Bronco -​
remote_TFI_harness1.gif

Motorcraft - DY1075 (supercedes DY533)​
Ford - 5U2Z12A297B (supercedes E8DZ-12A297-A)​
Wells - F125​
Niehoff - FF411​
BWD - CBE33​
Standard - LX226​
NapaEchlin - TP33​
Delphi - DS10053​
Transpo - FM533​
Remote Mount Black CCD "Computer Controlled Dwell" ICM
Ford Bronco -​
remote_TFI_harness2.gif
Motorcraft - DY1077 (supercedes DY679, DY667, DY645)​
Ford - 5U2Z-12A297-D (supercedes F1PZ-12A297-A)​
Wells - F139​
Niehoff - FF413​
BWD - CBE40​
Standard - LX-241​
NapaEchlin - TP29​
Delphi - DS10056​
Transpo - FM544​

You can find the thread here: clicky

Again, cross the number from your old unit. It will not be the same as the Ford part number 5U2Z-12A297-D that I cited above because it is not a part number, rather an "engineering" number. (Don't ask - It's a Ford quirk. All the other manufacturers have the actual part number stamped on their original factory parts) But it will cross to valid part numbers in just about any database you use.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar