New battery won’t start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rennie

Reaction score
I got a new battery for my new old to me new free bronco. 85xlt automatic 4x4. I tried to see if it would turn over. Wipers work door lock on passenger side works.
I tried starter and nothing cranks. Do I need to change selonid? I’m gonna jump it in the morning with a ***** driver? Second photo is front bumper I built out of 4”angle for a winch so I can use it back or front it’s getting bolted on mañana morning
Anyone have suggestions on motor would appreciate help 3BCEBF1E-D19D-4D74-B2F5-0161321E6322.jpeg

OP
OP
R

Rennie

Reaction score
I got a new battery for my new old to me new free bronco. 85xlt automatic 4x4. I tried to see if it would turn over. Wipers work door lock on passenger side works.
I tried starter and nothing cranks. Do I need to change selonid? I’m gonna jump it in the morning with a ***** driver? Second photo is front bumper I built out of 4”angle for a winch so I can use it back or front it’s getting bolted on mañana morning
Anyone have suggestions on motor would appreciate help View attachment 21639
Picture got deleted 608E6CAA-84FF-408E-B133-AC3E32C3222F.jpeg

Reaction score
hey there! i don't come here often but here it goes.
if you have a multi meter it really helps to understand where the electricity is going, or not for that matter. let us know if you have/know how to use the multi meter... it makes it easier to help you as we can ask the right stuff.

do ya hear a loud click from the fender mounted solenoid? if so, it's likely the starter, solenoid, or large wiring between engine block, starter, battery, etc.

if not, it could be a problem with the neutral safety switch/park-neutral switch or the ignition switch or associated wiring that powers the solenoid's input terminals via the said switches. or in some cases the solenoid itself..

it's somewhat common to have damaged/overheated electrical connections with these rigs as they have a direct drive starter as opposed to one with a starter motor with gear reduction like most modern rigs.

i can't guarantee a reply as i'm fflakey, but learning how to use a multi-meter is paramount for these situations. it makes it much easier to diagnose over the internet, as it gives us data we can use to help you.

OP
OP
R

Rennie

Reaction score
I crossed the terminals with a ***** driver and engine turned over.
the solenoid looks original so I bought a new one. Will put on mañana. If not I’ll put the meter on it. thanks guys

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Also check the ground of the starter and solinoid. Make sure the inner fender-backside of solinoid,,,,,starter and the area where it bolts up to is good and clean.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke