Lower Steering column question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CLHBronco

Reaction score
The steering shaft in my 1974 Bronco has “play” in it inside the steering column. It drives and steers fine but something is obviously wrong and/or missing. I have included a picture of where the shaft goes into the steering column. It appears the bearing is in place and the collar (not sure the exact term) that holds the bearing in place is there. I watched a video of someone putting a steering column back together and there doesn’t appear to be any other parts that go where the shaft goes into the column. I attached a second picture which is a screenshot from the video (the white column). My lower column looks different than his in the fact that his bearing is flush with the inner part of the column and mine is not. Does anyone know why mine is different and could that have anything with the shaft moving inside the column. 017E56E6-FA09-4FA8-8825-A19B1A5D06A1.png

Attachments

• D3FAD163-65F8-418A-9661-0F3C0D997AAE.png
    D3FAD163-65F8-418A-9661-0F3C0D997AAE.png
    629 KB · Views: 8

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like the bearing has worked its way out of the seat and down the shaft. might just have to tap it back up into place.

if it doesn't stay you can start trying products like lock tite or JB weld.

OP
OP
C

CLHBronco

Reaction score
Looks like the bearing has worked its way out of the seat and down the shaft. might just have to tap it back up into place.

if it doesn't stay you can start trying products like lock tite or JB weld.
Thanks. I will look at it for that possibility. I am still wondering why even if the bearing goes back in and I can get the coupler tightened against it, why isn’t the bearing flush like the white one in the screenshot I attached. Mine is a 74 that was built in late 73. I did wonder if they used some 73 parts.

chrlsful

Reaction score
"...built in late 73. I did wonder if they used some 73 parts...."
yes, no thing to worry bout. U R correct - ford used an "empty bin" assembly process. Go untill we run outta prts, then fill up'n start using the new, after. Secure it w/the collar. That's its purpose. U could secure it w/a drill, bit thena roll pin or 2 (2nd opposite) if U stayed out of the bearing itself.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo