Loose steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimbronco91

Reaction score
I have play in my steering. I have replaced the ball joints, tie rods, front drive axle ujoints, bearing, New tires & alignment still have play. No excessive noise from power steering pump. I am at wits end, any suggestions?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Usually the alignment shop is pretty good about finding loose parts.

With the truck sitting on the ground you need to have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth, lay underneath the truck and see what moves.
If all those parts are new and still good.
Could be a pivot bushings, maybe frame is cracked at the steering box mount. Maybe it is the steering sector shaft itself.
Could even be a brand new tire that is bad.

Yes they are frustrating to track down sometimes. Everyone goes through that. Don't give up.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Jim,

• Wanders Side to Side — Loose Steering
  • Vehicle overloaded or unevenly loaded.
  • CORRECT as required.
  • Improper (mismatched) tires and wheels.
  • INSTALL correct tire and wheel combination.
  • Improper tire pressure.
  • ADJUST air pressure in tires.
  • Loose steering gear mounting.
  • ADJUST to 73-89 Nm (54-66 lb-ft).
  • Front and rear suspension components loose, worn or exhibit damaged condition.
  • TIGHTEN or REPLACE as necessary..
  • Loose, worn or damaged steering sector shaft arm drag link.
  • TIGHTEN or REPLACE as necessary.
  • Loose wheel lug nuts.
  • TIGHTEN to specifications.
  • Spindle pin (king pin) binding.
  • LUBRICATE suspension.
  • Improperly adjusted front wheel bearing.
  • ADJUST to specification.
  • Steering column intermediate shaft coupling fractured.
  • REPLACE as required.
  • Incorrect toe setting.
  • SET to specifications.
  • Improperly adjusted steering gear.
  • ADJUST to specification (meshload only). .
  • Steering column misaligned.
  • .When checking steering wheel free play, also check for radial play or wobble between the steering wheel and steering column shaft. Any free play detected reflects wear in the steering column bearing (3517) and can add to apparent free play.
  • Steering column components loose or exhibit excessive play.
  • REPAIR as required.

Inspectthe bolts securing the column support bracket to the pedal support bracket for looseness. Tighten the support bracket bolts to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).

pblakesley16

Reaction score
Thanks, I will go through the list one by one
Morning Jim.

I have spent 5bil hours trying to correct the "death wobble". Like you, I replaced everything. Corrected a little bit, but nothing major. Went and talked with a "pro" bronco builder, he said it is just the way it is - not worth the time and money.

Positive side of the wobble, my wife and kids like to bet on how far I can turn the steering wheel without moving the bronco. Winner gets ice cream.

Miesk's post above is pretty slick - would have been nice to have a few years back.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
he said it is just the way it is - not worth the time and money.
Actually there is a lot of truth in that. The TTB feels like there is always some play in it.
I had a 96 with 240K miles on it. Everything was tight, but it never drove as straight as I thought it should due to worn coil springs and body roll. But then I was compaing it to the solid axle trucks I normally drive which is a whole different animal.

So there are many different levels of "loose" steering.

chrlsful

Reaction score
Frnt WB & 'loose bx'? Like any other system one prt effects the others. Know diagnostic procedure for each subsystem of ur vehicle or throw $, time, prts @ all ur problems. (I must w/some ele sub-systems as I never paid attention).

"...I have replaced the ba..."
one of my forum (bronk I think) sig is something to the effect of - only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt - and here we have it. A helper, jack, flashlght, crow bar and 3 simple operations can diagnose ur problem. Remote diagnosis is difficult, on-line even more so. Learn the 3 operations & U can B golden. Dont & ur playing w/1 of the most hazardous aspects of vehicle maintenance when done improperly, ignored, left to deteriorate, done wrong, etc~

mtndigger

Reaction score
I had a drift issue as well when I did all you have done. I run 35’s. I replaced the steering shaft and steering box both and they eliminated 90% of it. The other 10% is due to my lift and tires. I have a 90 XLT.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo mtndigger
I had a drift issue as well when I did all you have done. I run 35’s. I replaced the steering shaft and steering box both and they eliminated 90% of it. The other 10% is due to my lift and tires. I have a 90 XLT.
Yo mtndiggerasks,
Thanks!
Here are the 1990 Bronco Pre-Delivery Shop & Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manuals (EVTM), Partial by member Kingfish999 in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck service manuals - Google Drive
&
1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf by Ford via member 90.CaliBronco in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf

Suggest you download both for faster scrolling and to use the table of contents index.

1990 Ford Bronco Brochure by Ford via Dezo's Garage @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1990-Ford-Bronco.pdf

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by BroncMom!

Al

chrlsful

Reaction score
'Haynes' & 'Chiton's' R great for those of us new to the game. Better - ford (dealer) shop manuals - but expensive. This is not knuckle dragin, neanderthal, grease money stuff but rather fairly sophisticated science.
Al gives U a good place to start above. Almost as good as boots on the ground experienced neighbor. Know ur vehicle (& it can B an entree into all automotive science/engineering). Get up to speed w/a lill research (readin) and U know the right questions to ask. Were here to help !

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo