Lift Blocks (rear), To Wedge, Or Not To Wedge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

DanaDRD

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. . . .

The Superlift blocks are made of cast-iron, and yes they are angled. The footprint of the Superlift block is much larger than the welded perch on the differential axle tube. The footprint of the Superlift block fits nicely on top of the factory wedge. If I discard the wedge I will need to weld a plate on the differential perch to properly support the Superlift block. Which brings me back to the original post-----To Wedge or Not to Wedge, and pinion angle?

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
I'd say if its easier to use the wedge and it doesn't create too much angle on the pinion, then use it. The wedge isn't tall enough to add more lift so you should be OK. Keep those u-bolts tight. After a few days check them again and make sure they are tight. After that they should be good to go. Your instinct will tell you what to do.

4xfan78

Reaction score
If the superlift blocks are angled then I would not use the wedge's. Using the wedges will only cause you problems, thats why the blocks you have have an angle on them.

Kennel_Dog

Reaction score
Ummm....I`m starting to hate modifications :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

When I bought my 4" lift it came with 3" blocks for the rear. They are cast iron and angled also. The instructions never mentioned the factory wedge so I put them on top of the originals and carried on.

So, if I understand correctly you guys are saying this is a bad thing to do. My problem is if I take out the originals the front will be way higher than the back.

Is it possible to weld both of them together or would you guys recommend bying new, bigger blocks ? or is the another solution ?.

BTW the differential pinion angle looks good to me, but remember I`m only a duck taper :)>-

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I've always kept the wedges, and installed the blocks between them and the leaf springs. The only reason you should not use the wedges is if the driveshaft-pinion angle is not zero or very close to "0". A thin shim may even be needed, between the block and wedge. You can have a 4wd shop check the anlge for you, even if it looks O.K. I had to use a 1" block under my lifted spring packs to level the ride height and correct the ds angle. Otherwise, you will go thru ujoints every month or two.

4xfan78

Reaction score
The only problem with putting more than one thing between the axle and the spring is it has a very good chance of moving even if it's torqued properly. Which will snap the u-bolts holding the rearend in place. Mine did exactly that I hade 3" blocks with weadges. I fixed the problem by buying 4" aluminium block and cutting the correct angle in them myself. Been working great and have not broke a u-joint in almost 2 years.

Kennel_Dog

Reaction score
I like the idea of buying 4" aluminium block and getting them cut, I think thats the way I`ll go, thanks 4x.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Wow, I guess it can happen. My 96 F350 comes stock with a dual block under the leafs. One is a wedge and the other is for height. We better drop Ford an e-mail hu?

freak

Reaction score
When I was talking to Jesse at Highangle drinvlines he said you alway's want your yoke on your differential in line with your driveshaft.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Thats right! It helps the u-joint if its all in line. When its at a stock angle the driveline will bind with a lift and wear the u-joint out fast. You don't want to drop a driveline on the freeway. I've heard some nasty stories... @-)

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Forgot to say you can also cut the leaf spring mounting pads off the axle rotate the axle upwards to the desired angle and tac it in place. Then take everything off and weld it in good. Then you can get the correct leaf spring lift and have no blocks. >:)

stinger

Reaction score
more than likely you should put the factory wedge back in. I put on a BDS 4" rear kit (blocks and add a leafs) there instructions said to put there block on top of the factory wedge to keep the proper pinion angle. also there 4" kit raised the back end 6 1/2" . so i ended up changing front springs out and for there 6" springs and getting ready to put the 6" rear springs on and get rid of the block. Just my opinion wasn't to sure about the stacking blocks up on the rear end and extra long u-bolts that seem to always need to be retightened.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke