K&N Installed :) Now I have a wicked air leak :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow_D

Reaction score
I just installed my new K&N Cone type filter and I have noticed a difference.

I've also gotten a big sounding air or vacuum leak. I know it is coming from the hose that comes off the oil filler that goes into the bottom of the filter. It originally went into a breather element in the old filter box.

My question is *** is this hose for and can I delete it?

I do have a PCV valve that goes into the plenum.

Is it normal for this to make a loud noise with the K&N or is there something else going on that I need to fix?

Thanks

Darrin

gump_black

Reaction score
I just installed my new K&N Cone type filter and I have noticed a difference.I've also gotten a big sounding air or vacuum leak. I know it is coming from the hose that comes off the oil filler that goes into the bottom of the filter. It originally went into a breather element in the old filter box.

My question is *** is this hose for and can I delete it?

I do have a PCV valve that goes into the plenum.

Is it normal for this to make a loud noise with the K&N or is there something else going on that I need to fix?

Thanks

Darrin

21039[/snapback]

honestly,

i dont think that it is needed. i have done the same thing and just put a bolt into the end of the hose to stop the leak and i have never felt a difference and it hasnt seemed to hurt the engine any, 310,000 mile and dosnt leak a drop.

Bradt

Reaction score
That hose feeds your PCV system. You should keep it on there as it's what allows clean air to come into your crankcase for ventilation. You probably won't like the long term results if you plug it up.

brad

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Ok I guess I will deal with the sound till I figure out what valve covers will fit under the plenum, then I will just use a breather as a fill cap.

Thanks

Bradt

Reaction score
Your cone filter doesn't have a little ****** you can slide the hose on?

brad

OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Ok well I screwed up some b-( :wacko: :blush:

I pulled the line off the filter to see if it was sucking or blowing and figured out the sound I am hearing is NOT coming from that hose :-"

It is coming from the 2 intake pipes. I would assume air turbulence?

Is this normal for this setup or should I change something to fix?

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I think the K&N open filter will be louder than the stock intake, especially when you're passing another car. If you don't have any leaks in the tubing from the filter to the throttle body, the extra noise is normal. By all means don't plug your PCV vent line, either!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom