Just bought a 460

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79highrider

Reaction score
Today i solved the issues of figuring out what to do with my worn 400m rebuild project and my dieing 351m in my truck. I bought a running 460 out of a 86 F250 mason dump truck. Now many many people have done this swap but I have a couple questions.

Firstly I want to use long tube headers, what headers fit the 460 in a 79 Bronco? Do i get 460 headers for a 79 f250/f350 4wd?

Another question, the mounting brackets, I know jbg has a set of engine mounts for the 460 into the bronco but what other companies do, what are the ones to get or should i take the mounts from the 86 and fab em to my frame?

Third question the 460 is currently bolted to a 4 spd manual dump truck trans and I want to bolt it to my C6, do i need to buy a flexplate or different flywheel to do that?

The radiators, which is best to use, the one in the dump truck or mine that came from a 79 with air conditioning (i think its a little bigger then one without a/c)

And the last thing i just want to make sure on, the 460 has electronic distributer advance and mine has vacuum, is one better then the other? and if i wanted to keep things simple the distributer in my 351m will fit on the 460 correct? so i could keep it vacuum advance.

OP
OP
79highrider

79highrider

Reaction score
OK Summitracing has the motor mount brackets I need so that question is answered, the main thing right now is finding the correct headers, and I would prefer fender exists or below frame exist, also I think I am going to just use the radiator I already have instead of the one from the 86 truck

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Today i solved the issues of figuring out what to do with my worn 400m rebuild project and my dieing 351m in my truck. I bought a running 460 out of a 86 F250 mason dump truck. Now many many people have done this swap but I have a couple questions.
Firstly I want to use long tube headers, what headers fit the 460 in a 79 Bronco? Do i get 460 headers for a 79 f250/f350 4wd?

Another question, the mounting brackets, I know jbg has a set of engine mounts for the 460 into the bronco but what other companies do, what are the ones to get or should i take the mounts from the 86 and fab em to my frame?

Third question the 460 is currently bolted to a 4 spd manual dump truck trans and I want to bolt it to my C6, do i need to buy a flexplate or different flywheel to do that?

The radiators, which is best to use, the one in the dump truck or mine that came from a 79 with air conditioning (i think its a little bigger then one without a/c)

And the last thing i just want to make sure on, the 460 has electronic distributer advance and mine has vacuum, is one better then the other? and if i wanted to keep things simple the distributer in my 351m will fit on the 460 correct? so i could keep it vacuum advance.
L&L< Products here in Texas makes those 460 motor swap mounts, as well as full-length chassis or fender-exit headers, sold by JBG. I think trans-Dapt and one or two others make some, too. you prolly found those at Summit or JEG's. You can bolt a C-6 to the motor, you do need a flexplate with ring gear, as well as the big block transmission. I'm using an F-250 heavy duty radiator from my Bronco, just had to find the right hoses for the proper neck sizes. Supposedly, you can use the 351M dizzy in the 460, and I prefer vacuum advance. To simplify things, I swapped to an HEI dizzy, eliminating the coil, ignition module and alot of wiring. JSM84

OP
OP
79highrider

79highrider

Reaction score
L&L< Products here in Texas makes those 460 motor swap mounts, as well as full-length chassis or fender-exit headers, sold by JBG. I think trans-Dapt and one or two others make some, too. you prolly found those at Summit or JEG's. You can bolt a C-6 to the motor, you do need a flexplate with ring gear, as well as the big block transmission. I'm using an F-250 heavy duty radiator from my Bronco, just had to find the right hoses for the proper neck sizes. Supposedly, you can use the 351M dizzy in the 460, and I prefer vacuum advance. To simplify things, I swapped to an HEI dizzy, eliminating the coil, ignition module and alot of wiring. JSM84
I found two different types of mounts, the ones by L&L bolt to the motor and use stock perches, the ones by trans-dapt which I found on summit bolt to the frame and use the 460's mounts. Which would be better? which would be easier?

Just to make sure the C6 behind my 351m is the big block C6 correct? If not my plan of dropping the 460 right in is gunna go up in flames but I was under the impression the the 351m, 351c, and 400m were what they called mid size blocks which werent the big blocks but still bolted to big block transmissions.

What flexplate and ring gear do I need?

As for the distributer I bought an HEI with mech and vacuum advance for $70 shipped brand new off ebay

Also I found a set of hedman headers for the 460 in 74 to 79 f150 to 350? will those work with some minor modifictaion, i found em on ebay and they are still pretty cheap (alot cheaper then over $400 for the ones on JBG)

crowebait

Reaction score
the 351M 400 are the same bolt pattern as the 460, 351c is the same as a 302, yours should be the M block, the 460 should bolt up to your M block C6

make sure when you order the flexplate you specify the year of the engine, 1979 and older are internal balnce and 1980 and newer are external balance, the weight on the flexplate is different between the two.

OP
OP
79highrider

79highrider

Reaction score
the 351M 400 are the same bolt pattern as the 460, 351c is the same as a 302, yours should be the M block, the 460 should bolt up to your M block C6
make sure when you order the flexplate you specify the year of the engine, 1979 and older are internal balnce and 1980 and newer are external balance, the weight on the flexplate is different between the two.
Thanks so I just need to order a flexplate for an 86 460 for a C6 tranny. Ill go check summit now, I looked before I knew this and I was unsure about the internal, external balance so thanks for clearing that up, and thank god I can use the M block C6 because I got one in my truck and one in my garage.

madmax

Reaction score
I assume your front suspension is going to be beefy enough to take the extra weight of the 460?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo