Is it the starter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I_LOVE_MY_BRONCO

Reaction score
My buddy gave me his bronco he let die. Its been sitting for a few months so I replaced the battery and she slowly started. I turned her off to double check the fluid levels, and now she wont start. Turn the key, theirs a click, she has power (ie lights radio). Theres a click, the door locks engage then disengage, and then the mileage goes blank. Maybe the solenoid? some connection? What steps should I go in to avoid spending 2 hours replacing the starter???

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
My buddy gave me his bronco he let die. Its been sitting for a few months so I replaced the battery and she slowly started. I turned her off to double check the fluid levels, and now she wont start. Turn the key, theirs a click, she has power (ie lights radio). Theres a click, the door locks engage then disengage, and then the mileage goes blank. Maybe the solenoid? some connection? What steps should I go in to avoid spending 2 hours replacing the starter???

[/q

yo, you have a 94, right? MY first reaction is a weak batty.

try the horn.. a weak horn = low batty due to that Slow Start; or bad batty/starter relay etc conns..esp Grounds.

Check batty cable connections at batty, etc. If you have a multimeter, read voltage with lights on

Try this next..jump the starter relay; use a jumper wire where those Large RED & BLACK Insulated Alligator Clips are; watch fan for fingers, ties, ropes/chains around neck, etc.

StarterRelayJumpinin92-96.JPG

If it won't turn over when jumped, you'll know that the starter is OK

if not, it's a relay issue (Bad part, bad ground, since it is grnd to the inner fender by the mounting ***** and its body) or ign sw or actuator rod or MLPS.

Old timers do this Using batty jumper CABLES- If it cranks while jumping across the 2 large terminals, the starter & large cables are good.

EDIT-highlighted most likely for you beginning with a weak battty, then cables and connections, etc.

Thanks Joe, but a lot of it is rote memory

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
I

I_LOVE_MY_BRONCO

Reaction score
I replaced the solenoid that is mounted to the frame by the battery (only 12 bucks) and had the alternator tested. Replaced all of the connections and I have the click and no turnover. And the horn works, the battery reads full until you try to start her up. I am replacing the starter today, having some trouble fnding it.There's no turn over. If this doesnt work then I got nothing.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
did you try that jumper test I posted above????

starter is on pass side; down low... but it could be just a wiring prob

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Try jumping the starter relay as miesk5 instructed.

Pick up a digital voltmeter, and test your battery by placing one probe on each terminal. Red to positive.

Battery Charge Table

12.6V or higher: 100% charge

12.4V - 12.6V: 75-100%

12.2V - 12.4V: 50-75%

12.0V - 12.2V: 25-50%

11.7V - 12.0V: 0-25%

11.7V or less: 0% (and probably not capable of being recharged).

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar