Installed Tach 95 EB 5.8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phredroc61

Reaction score
Found a gauge cluster with tach installed tach works great BUT now speedometer pegs. Checked fuses and power and digital read is fine no errors. So tried installing speedometer that came with cluster and same result peg to max mph. Any help would be great.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo P,
Welcome!
When I thought my PSOM was bad, I shipped it to DNA SPEEDOMETER, Tampa, FL, but a nasty lady at the UPS store tossed my Well-Wrapped and labeled, "THIS SIDE UP, FRAGILE" shipping box into the a hamper despite my request to handle it as described. I contacted the stores owner, he came over in 10 minutes, saw the box laying at bottom of hamper and relieved the woman permanently. He shipped it for free. DNA speedometer folks said the odometer section was stained upon receipt.
DNA has Excellent service!
●Ask them about your issue.●

PSOM Pointer Waiver TSB 96-21-11 for 92-96; "..The speedometer needle may waver and or a light surge may occur on some vehicles...This may be due to slight dents/chips in either the VSS tone ring or the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) and air gaps between the VSS and the tone ring. Any slight dents, chips, etc., in either the exciter tone ring or VSS will create needle waver. Measure air gap between the VSS and tone ring. It should be 0.38-0.51mm (0.015-0.020"). Check tone ring runout per the same ring gear backface runout procedure of the appropriate model YEAR Powertrain/Drivetrain Service Manual, Section 05-00. Make sure the ring is mounted correctly to the ring gear. If runout is more than 0.1mm (0.004"), perform the differential runout check per the procedure in the appropriate model YEAR Powertrain/Drivetrain Service Manual, Section 05-02A or 05-02D, to find cause and repair as needed. If all items listed above check good, replace the Instrument PSOM OR Cluster Assembly. .."
View attachment 169840
Bronco 8.8 Tone Ring, 108 Tooth is located on the left hand side of the ring gear. Look to see if any of the teeth have been notched (from debris floating around in the diff.) Usually a spider gear. If the ring tone gear has been notched, it will need to be replaced to fix your speedo reading. Jack it up and rotate the tires to look for the teeth to be notched/broken/bent..."
Source: by Bighibbi at FSB
View attachment 169841
8.8 Tone Ring "...six teeth almost flattened out." by sackman9975

VSS sensor mounted on top of rear 8.8 diff.
View attachment 169842
Source: by Shadofax (TheJuice, The Juice, Mark Z)

See my post in Speedometer Jumping Around @ Speedometer Jumping Around? Need Help please

To repair or replace the gauges with needle issues;
Cluster Parts & Gauge Similarities, Mounting, & Removal in 80-96; "...The PSOM, lens, blackout ring, terminal clips, shifter plates, bulbs & holders are interchangeable between cases. 87-96 gauges are only held in by their terminal clips, except the speedo. 80-91 speedos are held in by 2 screws; 92-97 PSOMs are held captive by the surrounding gauge faces. 80-86 use the same case for tach & non-tach, with a blank face for non-tach. 80-86 gauges are held in by stamped nuts on threaded studs. The fuel, oil, & temperature gauge bodies are identical & interchangeable by prying the needle off & removing the 2 screws holding the body to the face plate. To reinstall the needle, the gauge must be powered & have a known signal applied (usually the minimum) before stabbing the needle so it points to the proper reading. The screws are 5.5mm (7/32") hex with T15. t..."

Cluster Removal @ 1983 Ford Bronco Diagrams picture | SuperMotors.net

Cluster Printed Circuit in 92-96; "...The instrument cluster printed circuit (10K843) which supplies current to the instrument panel indicators, gauges, and some clocks, is made of copper foil which is bonded to a polyester base film (usually referred to as Mylar®). The instrument cluster printed circuit is mounted to the cluster housing and, due to its location, cannot be easily inspected or tested in the vehicle. This makes the instrument cluster printed circuit vulnerable to damage when a probe is used for in-vehicle testing as the probe can pierce the instrument cluster printed circuit or, in some cases, burn the copper conductor.Since there is no approved procedure for in-vehicle testing of the instrument cluster printed circuit, it must be removed for visual inspection. If no visual damage is evident, each circuit should be tested with an ohmmeter. If an open circuit or short is detected, the instrument cluster printed circuit must be replaced..."

Cluster Bezel Repair in 92-96; "...Went to the local hardware store and picked up some parts to fix it. just some screws nylock nuts and washers. oh and some plastic caps they come in lots of colors. it was all under 5 bucks. you can find the parts in the drawer trays in the fastener section. i will see if i can get parts numbers. drilled holes for the screws bolted the screws to the dash then bolted the switches to the bolts. wish i had taken more picks but the camera was giving me fits. so this is all i have. As you can see in the last photo. i broke one of the ears off one of the switches. i would recommend putting a backup nut and washer on the ***** so you cant bend and break the ear like i did..."

Cluster Bezel Repair in 92-96; "...It's common for the clips across the top snap off their mounting posts, but the posts are hollow, so it's fairly easy to install a *****. The hardest part is getting the final 1/4 turn on the ***** so the clip stays tight. It's even more common for the ***** holes behind the trim strips to break out, but it's easier to repair them. I used this plumber's strap to hang some hardware for powdercoating, which is why it's black. But since it'll be totally hidden, plain strap is just as good. Even if the holes haven't cracked yet, this mod will prevent them from ever breaking..."

ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed. If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 71
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

1995 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1995 Ford Bronco

1995 Bronco Drivetrain, Powertrain Service Manual - Google Drive
&
1995 Bronco Chassis, Service Manual - Google Drive
To switch between folder list & grid views, click the button to the right of the "DOWNLOAD ALL" button in the upper right corner of the window) by HawkDriver

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom

Al

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,
Also inspect PSOM & cluster connectors for looseness terminal backout/looseness, wiring, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke