ignition module help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robofg

Reaction score
Any easy tips on how to change out a igntion module on a 1990 bronco 5.8 L

Thank you

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo R,

Ignition Control Module (ICM) Removal Tips @ distributor; "...To remove the TFI = thick film integrated module you need to loosen the saftey "lock bolt" at base of the distributor so you can TURN the distributor for better access and removal but make a reference mark so you can turn the distributor back exactly where it was otherwise you'll have to re-set the timimg so it will start and run properly. There's a special tool "ignition module socket, mfg by Powerbuilt # 648420 so you can remove the screws on the module to replace it BUT to test it you just need to turn the ignition key to the "RUN" position, engine off. don't remember what I paid for the "socket" maybe $15.00 range...?

Source: by JKossarides ("The Bronco", Jean)

Disconnect Battery;

Turn the ignition key OFF.

Remove the wire harness connector from end of module. Use screwdriver to lift latch over catch on module.

Remove two screws and withdraw module from the side of the distributor.

IMPORfANT! Apply heat-conductive silicone grease between the module and the mounting plate evenly across metal backplate. This material helps transfer heat from the module to the distributor housing. Failure to place grease on back plate may substantially reduce the service life of the module.

Replace with new module, firmly tightening the screws.

Replace connector into end of module making sure it properly latches.

If vehicle fails to start, check pickup coil and power supply to module.

Ford silicone grease D7AZ-19A331-A, Dow Corning #111, or General Electric G-627.

Also read this, same for Bronco & F Series;

Excerpts; "...This wrench is the only way to remove and replace a TFI module. It is a special 7/32″ (5.5mm) socket with a very thin wall. The older design is smaller and used with a ¼ inch drive socket set. The design changed to this newer model with plastic handle. In some rare occasions the TFI bolts will have a T-20 head; you can get a top of the line ratcheted TFI tool that has a 7/32″ (5.5mm) end and a T-20 end. The TFI never needs to be torqued down with a socket set, so the simple plastic handle design is great and simple to use. To remove the TFI simply remove the two bolts, and slide the module downward. You MUST slide the TFI down before you pull it away from the distributor or it won’t come off correctly.

TFItooldistributormounted.gif

make one up or buy at auto parts store

Many relocate the ign module to driver side inner fender area to avoid eng heat

Ignition Control Module Relocation & Modified Mount (click NEXT to view all)

Source: by csn.rebel (CSNREBEL) at http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/media/170075

OP
OP
R

robofg

Reaction score
yo R,

Ignition Control Module (ICM) Removal Tips @ distributor; "...To remove the TFI = thick film integrated module you need to loosen the saftey "lock bolt" at base of the distributor so you can TURN the distributor for better access and removal but make a reference mark so you can turn the distributor back exactly where it was otherwise you'll have to re-set the timimg so it will start and run properly. There's a special tool "ignition module socket, mfg by Powerbuilt # 648420 so you can remove the screws on the module to replace it BUT to test it you just need to turn the ignition key to the "RUN" position, engine off. don't remember what I paid for the "socket" maybe $15.00 range...?

Source: by JKossarides ("The Bronco", Jean)

Disconnect Battery;

Turn the ignition key OFF.

Remove the wire harness connector from end of module. Use screwdriver to lift latch over catch on module.

Remove two screws and withdraw module from the side of the distributor.

IMPORfANT! Apply heat-conductive silicone grease between the module and the mounting plate evenly across metal backplate. This material helps transfer heat from the module to the distributor housing. Failure to place grease on back plate may substantially reduce the service life of the module.

Replace with new module, firmly tightening the screws.

Replace connector into end of module making sure it properly latches.

If vehicle fails to start, check pickup coil and power supply to module.

Ford silicone grease D7AZ-19A331-A, Dow Corning #111, or General Electric G-627.

Also read this, same for Bronco & F Series;

Excerpts; "...This wrench is the only way to remove and replace a TFI module. It is a special 7/32″ (5.5mm) socket with a very thin wall. The older design is smaller and used with a ¼ inch drive socket set. The design changed to this newer model with plastic handle. In some rare occasions the TFI bolts will have a T-20 head; you can get a top of the line ratcheted TFI tool that has a 7/32″ (5.5mm) end and a T-20 end. The TFI never needs to be torqued down with a socket set, so the simple plastic handle design is great and simple to use. To remove the TFI simply remove the two bolts, and slide the module downward. You MUST slide the TFI down before you pull it away from the distributor or it won’t come off correctly.

View attachment 12390

make one up or buy at auto parts store

Many relocate the ign module to driver side inner fender area to avoid eng heat

Ignition Control Module Relocation & Modified Mount (click NEXT to view all)

Source: by csn.rebel (CSNREBEL) at http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/media/170075

OP
OP
R

robofg

Reaction score
Thank you Miesk5. I changed it without any probs. Except it still wont start lol.

Back to ground zero with it.

90bronco86

Reaction score
Thank you Miesk5. I changed it without any probs. Except it still wont start lol.

Back to ground zero with it.
I would check your coil, also when you get it started again i would hit it with a timing light anyway because i marked my distributor and my timing was still shot to ****, and accually caused my truck to not start a few times.

tiller83

Reaction score
Air, fuel and fire. Check,change air and fuel filters. Pull plugs and check gap and condition. Check for fuel on plugs(no fire). Check,change cap and rotor(clean if build-up).listen for fuel pump sound before start,IGN(on). Check voltage to/from IGN coil, if so check at wire to plugs and plug spark. After changing the distributor ignition module,the computer would be the only (electrical) device in the IGN system to cause a no run. Every thing past those for the IGN is basic engine.

You were told to change the dist.IGN module because ? test,code,friend

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar