IAC Valve location in 1987-1991 5.0 Broncos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ty V.

Reaction score
So, I had a hard time finding the IAC valve on my 1990 Bronc the first time as I'm a newbie mechanic (this should work for any 1987-1991 5.0 Bronco though). I couldn't find any other articles on the forum about the location of the idle air control valve; if there's already one sorry if I'm reposting.

With the picture I have attached though it should be pretty easy to spot the IAC valve. In the picture it's the big shiny piece among all of the not so shiny pieces. It's located on the throttle body.

Now, I'm not saying I'm an expert mechanic and that I replaced it perfectly so I take no responsibility for any injuries or damage to the vehicle or person that may occur when replacing this (done being a legal statement now), but here's how I did it. Please make sure your car is off and your engine isn't hot (just use common sense!! >:D< <'> )

1) Once I located the IAC valve I detached the wire going into it. (In the picture this is located in the black part of the IAC valve closest to the camera)

2) Once the wire is removed from the IAC valve there should be a clip holding the wire to the IAC valve. (It is located on the top part of the valve and is attached to an anchor held in by one of the IAC valves bolts.) Remove the clip from the anchor and store the wire safely.

3) Now you're ready to remove the bolts holding the IAC valve to the throttle body. There's one on top and one on bottom. Unscrew them and remove the valve AND BE SURE TO REMOVE THE GASKET AND HOLD ONTO IT. Save the bolts and the anchor for the electrical wire.

4) At this point you're ready to put on your new IAC Valve. Bolt the new IAC valve to the throttle body (tightly!) with a new gasket (I just reused my old one because the new gasket I got with my IAC valve was some garbage paper material.)

5) Once new IAC valve is attached push the electrial wire's "anchor pin" back into the "anchor" and plug the wire into the new IAC valve.

6) Viola your new IAC valve is installed. At this point I turned my car on and let it sit for a few minutes to get used to the valve, then drove it around the block so the Bronc could get cozy with the new valve.

Hope I was of help to someone out there. Feel free to add anything I may have missed!

-Ty

Picture 014.jpg

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke