I have a 92 bronco with 351 windsor. I've been told that removing all smog equipment will increase horsepower and fuel efficiency. Is this true?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Republican

Reaction score
I have a 92 Ford Bronco with the 351 Windsor. Was told by removing smog equipment it will increase horsepower and fuel efficiency. Wondering if this is true and if it's a good idea? thanks for any feedback

chrlsful

Reaction score
I'd say "no". (name the 'smog' components).The auto is a system and as such a change to 1 prt effects the others. Even w/the initial forays into pollution control ('60s - 80s) guys grabbed stuff willie nilly & ****** it off w/o knowing effects. "Dis is beddah". Now the sensors 'speak to each other' thru the 2 - 3 puters. If U wish to break the law, learn what U R doing (like all the rest) 1st. Otherwise learn how to improve performance (pep /AND/ MPGs) & go abt it with understanding, success, & workman-like percussion.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
You probably won't notice the difference removed or not. Really the only advantage to removing is when the parts start failing.

chillsam

Reaction score
I built a BRANGER for my son ..91 F.S Bronco chassis with a 91 Ranger S.W.B body...had a 300 6 with auto...cut the cat off had stock to where I cut off cat ran true duals with 2.25 bulk straight pipe back to C.B's and tail pipes for a F 250 with a 460 also pulled the stock air box off in made a dual filter air intake for it...mileage went up to a lil over 20 mpg with 33's on it now if it's because of intake exhaust mods or lighter body ???...It's a TANK pulled my other sons 460 sno fighter off a stump n a creek bed no problem

Jasgeer

Reaction score
By '92 your Bronco likely has fuel injection so the fuel metering (and mpg) is probably good if your oxygen sensor is working correctly. I won't address all of the legalities but you might improve performance if you can find an aftermarket tuner for your engine. Beyond that read up on forums to learn what people do to improve performance. There are plenty of similar Mustangs running around. I would guess that changing over to a roller camshaft and perhaps adding larger injectors might wake up the engine.

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
1.6 in the intake, 1.7 on the exhaust.

chrlsful

Reaction score
reminds me of a 'by-line' or 'sig script' or whatever it might be called "Change 1 thing at a time or U wont B able to tell which helped (or hurt)." Guy said it when diagnosing a problem & as a lill scientist (shade tree mechanic) I could not agree more. In fact it has been my MO in building/selling the 5 or 6 rigs I've flipped. I R&R till they're not junk anymore and pass on for fun, use'n proffit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom