How do i get the side trim off an 81?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Good morning folks!

Im removing the trim from my 1981 to prep for paint. I popped off the emblems and wheel well trim no problem. The side trim on the doors and fenders on the other hand dont come off the same way.

I would prefer not to ruin the trim even though i dont plan on putting it back on. There seems to be metal plates riveted to the sheet metal that the trim is connected to. Ive tried prying and its on there good! Im afraid im going to destroy the aluminum/rubber trim or gouge the body.

Is there a trick to this?

Thanks!

Jason

OP
OP
Harleyjasondavidson
Reaction score
Figured it out. Big prybar and some wood wedges with a hammer took it off. Had to take a grinder to all the steel rivets and **** to get the clips off the sheet metal.

Even after removing the trim i dont see how the h*ll to get the pieces out of their clips properly.

mikefamig

Reaction score
Could you maybe have slid or pried the outer part of the trim away from the metal base and then drilled the rivets out? I'm picturing a black plastic trim attached to a metal base but just guessing.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Good morning folks!

Im removing the trim from my 1981 to prep for paint. I popped off the emblems and wheel well trim no problem. The side trim on the doors and fenders on the other hand dont come off the same way.

I would prefer not to ruin the trim even though i dont plan on putting it back on. There seems to be metal plates riveted to the sheet metal that the trim is connected to. Ive tried prying and its on there good! Im afraid im going to destroy the aluminum/rubber trim or gouge the body.

Is there a trick to this?

Thanks!

Jason
Contact member BRONCO PARTS GARAGE ON HEAR or youtube. He dismantles them and sales parts plus he has videos on youtube. Good luck

johnnyreb

Reaction score
broncoandpartsgarage---he was on hear yesterday--he will help you out about how to take off a part

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo