Horn Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pj31704

Reaction score
I am having issues with a recently rewired horn, I am guessing the wires are touching something in the column or under dash but have no idea how to locate the issue. The horn randomly honks, even with steering wheel and horn button removed. I can pull on one of the wires to make it stop, but after releasing it will start honking again. Any ideas where to start without tearing things apart? Thanks

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi  PJ.,

It's not all that bad. If you look just under the dash, up at the column, you'll see 7 or 8 color-coded wires coming out of the column.

(As I recall, on the later models, ea. wire has a male-female plug connector under there, the same color so you can't mix them up.)

With the str. wheel off, you can attach a strong string to all the wires & pull them up out of the column. (after un-plugged)

The string will allow you to pull the wires back down in place.

HOWEVER,  your description is unclear..., you may not have to go that deep into the fix.

1) Where abouts did you "rewire" the horn..? Under the hood or at the steering wheel.?

2) Randomly honks when you are driving.., or working at the steering wheel.

3) Assume you're pulling on a wire at the steering wheel -- str. wheel off..?

4) Factory wheel or aftermarket?

A hot wire (a) runs up the column to the horn button --- pushing the button connects that wire to a wire (b) that runs back

down the column to the actual horn/horn relay. The horn can't honk 'til that wire (b)  is energized. 

It would be very rare that a wire is frayed inside the column. There's a rubber grommet where the wires exit the column.

Bob

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I will try to answer these. Recently had a new wiring harness installed, along with that the horn "button" was moved back into the steering wheel. (Previous owner had rigged a button under the dash for the horn). 

1. At the steering wheel

2. Randomly honks at all times, even with steering wheel disconnected.

3. There are two wires coming out of column to the horn, if I pull on one it stops the horn.

4. Aftermarket

Thanks again for any advice!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
As to #3 did a NEW turn signal switch with all those wires come in the wiring kit--- or--- is that system all original..?

(I know all the aft. mkt. wheels come with a horn button kit.)  Is the horn button in good shape & wired correctly..?

Would a volt meter help you check  voltage & continuity..?

Also, the horn req.only 1 wire....  the horn is grounded to the body. 

That's a mystery where  that wire is picking up 12v to honk horn...!!!  Any bare 12v wire would short to ground & pop a fuse..!!

Are any of the old wires to the dash mounted horn button still floating around...?

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
They did install a new turn signal switch, all of the wiring is brand new. The horn button is in good condition, there are two wires which connected to the back of the horn "button".

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"......there are two wires which connected to the back of the horn button"

YES.., of course., the horn button is simply a "switch" when pressed, it allows 12v to pass thru it to wire 

that runs back down to the honker-horn...

If you took the button out of the loop., & touched those two wires together, the horn will "honk" 

If you now wiggle those wires (while apart) & the horn doesn't honk..., there may be an issue in the "button"

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
I will keep you posted. To your previous post, the horn will honk without the two wires touching. I am guessing somewhere in the column or under the dash the circuit is being completed by a frayed wire or something else.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
As I see it, there would have to be TWO  wires frayed ---- 1 hot (12v) wire & the other, the wire that goes down to the actual horn.

i.e. those two wires rubbing together...............  The odds of this are VERY unlikely. 

"MURPHY'S LAW" states,  if there's a frayed 12v wire.., it will short to ground..., & blow a fuse..!!

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, finally found some time to dig into the column a bit for inspection. I will post a few images, I tried to resize so sorry if they are large. It seems there are two contact points and when the wheel is turned a certain direction/angle it is making a ground somewhere. I am going to try and adjust this and see if it continues. If anyone has an idea of a cause or fix, please advise. Thanks!

20190806_173435.jpg

20190806_172544.jpg

20190806_172535.jpg

20190806_173452.jpg

20190806_173443.jpg

20190806_171742.jpg

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
As I was putting back together it immediately began honking again....I took this video of how when the backing plate is pressed against the contacts it seems to cause a connection. Is there a way to rewire this to just have the wires connected instead of using these contact points?

View attachment 20190806_182543.mp4

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Wellll.., you've jogged my memory..!  That looks like a "GRANT" wheel & horn assembly. It appears both those spring loaded pins ride on the same copper ring..??

Seems it would need two seperate rings..?  Tightening those 3 shoulder bolts too tight can warp the plates & cause issues.

www.grantproducts.com  likely could help.  (Glendale Calif.) 

Even if I took my wheel/horn assy. apart.., I couldn't figure why yours in honking  W/O pushing the horn button.

You've got me stumped...........

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
Thanks for steering me in the right direction! I will keep you posted.

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
Issue has been fixed! Thanks Bully Bob for getting me to Grant. They helped me troubleshoot the issue, which was the copper contact ring. Once swapped out the horn is working like it should. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke