Hi! Just joined and just getting started...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkverde

Reaction score
Howdy from New Mexico! We're new here... My husband and I just started our restoration journey recently. We got both a 1978 and 1979 - his and hers, lol. We're looking to start with the 79 - getting it repainted, engine upgraded, and all the other goodies in the middle. We gutted it and got started on paint/body work estimates. Been ordering parts like crazy and learning a lot along the way. Looking forward to posting progress, and hopefully getting roadblocks figured out here and there... we're excited to dig in to the threads and learn more.

Attachments

• IMG_20220403_165801957.jpg
    IMG_20220403_165801957.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220403_165814246.jpg
    IMG_20220403_165814246.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220403_165843332.jpg
    IMG_20220403_165843332.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 8

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Howdy from New Mexico! We're new here... My husband and I just started our restoration journey recently. We got both a 1978 and 1979 - his and hers, lol. We're looking to start with the 79 - getting it repainted, engine upgraded, and all the other goodies in the middle. We gutted it and got started on paint/body work estimates. Been ordering parts like crazy and learning a lot along the way. Looking forward to posting progress, and hopefully getting roadblocks figured out here and there... we're excited to dig in to the threads and learn more.
Do you have any trouble water coming in during a down pour? If so. The area to stop it and follow it path. Start were the rain enters at the wiper area. It goe to the left and right. Down the side(s) into a big bulge .Behind the bottom area(s) of each fender ,The have small drain holes. That gets stopped up and dureing down pour. The water come in through the VENTS on the inside. On the driver side. BEHIND the emergency brake and on the passener side vent area, What I done to stop it is cut two good size holes in the BOTTOM of the bulges. Now I can take a 5 gallo bucket of water and pour it down into the wiper area and NONE comes inside. Check my pictures and it will show you the bulge area)(s). Good luck. No leaves or small branches stays in mine now and my floor stays dry.

OP
OP
dkverde

dkverde

Reaction score
Do you have any trouble water coming in during a down pour? If so. The area to stop it and follow it path. Start were the rain enters at the wiper area. It goe to the left and right. Down the side(s) into a big bulge .Behind the bottom area(s) of each fender ,The have small drain holes. That gets stopped up and dureing down pour. The water come in through the VENTS on the inside. On the driver side. BEHIND the emergency brake and on the passener side vent area, What I done to stop it is cut two good size holes in the BOTTOM of the bulges. Now I can take a 5 gallo bucket of water and pour it down into the wiper area and NONE comes inside. Check my pictures and it will show you the bulge area)(s). Good luck. No leaves or small branches stays in mine now and my floor stays dry.
We don't get too much rain out here so we've not had a good downpour to test for leaks. It's been quite the opposite here - dry and dusty! But I am curious about what you did to mitigate the leaks you had. I couldn't find the pictures you mentioned. Is there a picture section in your profile or are you able to copy the link? I'd be interested to see what you did. Just in case lol! Thanks

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Nice looking broncos.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
We don't get too much rain out here so we've not had a good downpour to test for leaks. It's been quite the opposite here - dry and dusty! But I am curious about what you did to mitigate the leaks you had. I couldn't find the pictures you mentioned. Is there a picture section in your profile or are you able to copy the link? I'd be interested to see what you did. Just in case lol! Thanks
Well I,ll take another picture of it today and post it.The bulge is located behind the rear of the front fenders. I have more work to do to mine.Then yours--alot more. I have a motor to rebuild in one and some body work. The custom. I done about all of the mechanical stuff. Went to start it yesterday and no luck. Got to checking things and found out I have 6 lifters stuck. Now I,m trying to get them working.Sprayed them yesterday. The battery didn,t have enough power to break them loose,but I,ll put a bigger cranking battery in it after while. . Good luck--oh I took some pictures and my niece will send them to me in a little while. Then I,ll post them. Again

johnnyreb

Reaction score
BOTTOM VIEW of water bulge-after I cut a drain in it--no leaks in the cab now-78 bronco

Attachments

• BOTTOM VIEW of water bulge on 78 bronco nd other years -including trucks.jpg
    BOTTOM VIEW of water bulge on 78 bronco nd other years -including trucks.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 10

johnnyreb

Reaction score
On both of my 78 bronco. These bulges were full of leaves,twigs and mud. These big holes I made also fixed that problem Dump a 5 gallon bucket of water in the wiper are and it comes out the bottom like a river. haha

Attachments

• Bulge where water from wipr area collects into--78 brobco-truch and other years.jpg
    Bulge where water from wipr area collects into--78 brobco-truch and other years.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 10
  • WTER BULGEfront view--78 bronco.jpg
    WTER BULGEfront view--78 bronco.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 10

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Welcome to Broncozone. Those are 2 very nice examples!
I am doing a 79 currently.
Looks like lots of fun, (and work)
Lots of great tech support in here.
What engine upgrades are you planning?
Mine are pretty major, I have a build thead currently running. (I’m a year in and still going!)
Tons of fun though!
Good luck and dont forget to enjoy the journey!
Cheers

johnnyreb

Reaction score
On both of my 78 bronco. These bulges were full of leaves,twigs and mud. These big holes I made also fixed that problem Dump a 5 gallon bucket of water in the wiper are and it comes out the bottom like a river. haha
Also the shocks on the front(single ones) are a different length on each side. The universal joinnts in the axles are a different size from the 78=79. The 79 have bigger ones.

OP
OP
dkverde

dkverde

Reaction score
Ok, I see now! That's interesting. I'm curious if there's anything hiding out in mine. Getting it ready to get painted - hopefully - and haven't seen any issues since gutting it but we didn't look there! Lol! Thanks for the tip! I'll be looking into that.

OP
OP
dkverde

dkverde

Reaction score
Welcome to Broncozone. Those are 2 very nice examples!
I am doing a 79 currently.
Looks like lots of fun, (and work)
Lots of great tech support in here.
What engine upgrades are you planning?
Mine are pretty major, I have a build thead currently running. (I’m a year in and still going!)
Tons of fun though!
Good luck and dont forget to enjoy the journey!
Cheers
Thank you! I checked out your photos - Wow! You're literally working from the ground up! That'll be awesome when you're done. Are you going to repaint too?

We've toyed with swapping the engine from a "newer" Bronco but in the spirit of trying to keep it as stock as possible, we're now looking into rebuild and a Holley ****** sys. Our 78 already had the Holley when we got it and it seems to do pretty well.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Thank you! I checked out your photos - Wow! You're literally working from the ground up! That'll be awesome when you're done. Are you going to repaint too?

We've toyed with swapping the engine from a "newer" Bronco but in the spirit of trying to keep it as stock as possible, we're now looking into rebuild and a Holley ****** sys. Our 78 already had the Holley when we got it and it seems to do pretty well.
Thanks, It's a ton of work, but I'm hoping for a daily driver. Hence all of the upgrades. The body and paint are untouched for now. (My boys tell me that original patina is a big thing up here) I'm not 100% sold. (I think shiny looks better)
I'll decide on the paint when I'm closer to done.
P.S.
I didn't modify any Bronco parts, so I can make it original again in a weekend!
I was driving it around the yard yesterday, pretty motivating!
Can't wait to see yours painted!
Cheers

L\Bronco

Reaction score

What is the mileage like on the 78? And which holley system is on it?
I'm curious because I'm looking at aftermarket injection for my mustang. (69)
Thanks for the info
Cheers

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thanks, It's a ton of work, but I'm hoping for a daily driver. Hence all of the upgrades. The body and paint are untouched for now. (My boys tell me that original patina is a big thing up here) I'm not 100% sold. (I think shiny looks better)
I'll decide on the paint when I'm closer to done.
P.S.
I didn't modify any Bronco parts, so I can make it original again in a weekend!
I was driving it around the yard yesterday, pretty motivating!
Can't wait to see yours painted!
Cheers
Ask them--when is mold coming in fashion? hahahah I like yo. I was tinkering and planning on taking the red and white one out---yep---you guessed it. Now I have the flue or something. Whatever it is --it is rough.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Ask them--when is mold coming in fashion? hahahah I like yo. I was tinkering and planning on taking the red and white one out---yep---you guessed it. Now I have the flue or something. Whatever it is --it is rough.
Hey I got it---mold i camoflauge---that what I told some friends awhile back and they liked it.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Take care Johnny. I hope you feel better.
I am heading to Boise in the morning for a drag race at Firebird raceway this weekend. Ill be offline for a bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar