HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow_D

Reaction score
She made a pop sound like it backfired out the air filter then nothing.

I put a new coil on it do to a very week spark and still nothing :((

As most of you know this is my DD so I need help A.S.A.P.!

Thanks

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
I usually suspect timing on this...

Check dizzy & see that it didn't come loose & turn a bit. See that rotor is turning.

Do the #1 TDC on compression stroke test & check where rotor is pointing.

The pricy elect. module ma have gone south as well....may be why spark is weak. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Latest update...

I still have a dead truck, No spark at all, I have the ign. module out and ready to go to the LAPS to bench test it (it is the IV that FOMOCM has had trouble with) I am also going to check the timing thing as well.

Any other suggestions?

Coil is new as is the coil wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
IT'S ALIVE!!! >:)

Turns out the ign. mod. in the dist. went bad. Now I need to do a full tune up and she should be better than ever :)>-

Seabronc

Reaction score
You are lucky that the pickup completely failed. That made it easier to find. A lot of times it is intermittent and can drive you up a wall. Mine failed when the engine warmed up but after setting the engine would start. The engine would be running just fine and all of a sudden it was like someone turned the key off.

Glad you found the problem. I keep a spare pickup in my truck all the time since mine failed.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Well she is still giving me a headache :((

At least now she runs and idles ok but as soon as I hit the throttle she starts to backfire out the muffler and throttle body and all around runs like $hit. On the road she won't even get out of her own way.

I have replaced the following...

Plugs, wires, cap & rotor, ign. mod., coil.

I can't get the engine to idle at 10 deg Btdc like the manual says I can only get her to run Atdc. I had a friend hit the throttle whale I watched the timing with a lite and it stayed where it was supposed to be.

I'm starting to think I have a bad cam or sticking valves.

Anyone have any ideas?

I need this truck soon.

Thanks

Darrin

wrachet

Reaction score
Well she is still giving me a headache :(( At least now she runs and idles ok but as soon as I hit the throttle she starts to backfire out the muffler and throttle body and all around runs like $hit. On the road she won't even get out of her own way.

I have replaced the following...

Plugs, wires, cap & rotor, ign. mod., coil.

I can't get the engine to idle at 10 deg Btdc like the manual says I can only get her to run Atdc. I had a friend hit the throttle whale I watched the timing with a lite and it stayed where it was supposed to be.

I'm starting to think I have a bad cam or sticking valves.

Anyone have any ideas?

I need this truck soon.

Thanks

Darrin

22089[/snapback]

This is the same thing that happened to the 84 Bronco we have. Did the same as you and even went as far as rebuilding the carburetor. Still didn't change a thing.

Have you tried timing it with a vacuum timing guage? We tried the light but the vacuum made one heck of a difference. Only had to turn the cap a bit.

Another thing, since your ignition mod was bad make sure you check your starter solenoid.

Colleen

Bronco_In_Ny

Reaction score
Make sure you check your wires and make Double sure they are running to the right plugs and not crossfireing, it happens more then people think. Umm I didn't see what yr your rig is but you need to remove the Spout connecter to set the timing its right at the Dist. Ohh and make sure your plugs are set right .044 gap I think that right.

One other thing Run a can of seafoam thru it and

Seabronc

Reaction score
Did you say that when your friend hit the throttle the timing didn't shift? If so, that isn't right. The centrifugal advance in the distributor should have caused it to shift. I would check to see if the centrifugal advance isn't frozen up. They do rust. You can get at that mechanism from the top of the distributor.

You have to remove the armature wheel, be careful not to loose the tiney roll pin, they are sometimes hard to get. The roll pin holds it in the right relationship with the pickup so it doesn't slip when the engine is running, very essential to timing. It pulls off with a little encouragement by lightly prying under it, I use a screwdriver.

Remove the retaining clip that holds the plate that the pickup is mounted on, and grounding ***** for the pickup. The centrifugal advance has two small springs on oposite sides. Make sure it is not frozen up.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Update:

I am changing the timing chain as we speak (It seemed lose to me).

I am 99% positive that I have the wiring correct.

Seabronc: Yes the timing stayed put so I will check that as well as double checking distributor position.

If these don't change this situation I will have to perform a leak down test to see if the heads are bad. I found out that Ford installed a SHORT block for $4000.00 :angry: so the heads have 130K + miles on them. This beast will NEVER go to the dealer again!

I will give everyone an update later tonight after I get done.

Thanks for the advice from everyone.

Wrachet: Welcome to the Zone! >

OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
IT'S FIXED!!! :D/

Ok the problem was the timing chain and plug wires.

I was 99% positive that I had the wires right but I had #' 5 & 6 back words on the cap :-" that's why I could get her to idle and get it in time but when I hit the gas she wouldn't run right.

The chain was causing the timing to jump out by 50 deg either way. (My buddy didn't tell me that I thought it was staying put.)

So now I have it back to 10 deg BTDC, I don't know if I want to run her at 13 like I had it before all this trouble.

I am thinking that going from 10 to 13 BTDC is what caused the module to go bad and stretch the chain. If I'm wrong please let me know I really liked the way she ran when she was ahead.

wrachet

Reaction score
Cool....So glad you got it fixed.

You know sometimes those Ign. Mods will just go bad for no apparent reason.

Colleen

White90Bronco

Reaction score
My ignition module went bad on mine this past weekend. We took it to Autozone and had it tested and 5 out of 6 circuts were bad. We changed it and it fired up. We also replaced the distributor cap because the bad mod. burnt it up, too.

OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
A friend of mine and I were talking about this the other day and he seems to think the mod was starting to go bad and caused the motor to backfire through the TB which caused my timing chain to stretch out.

Maybe something to look at if anyone else has this problem.

Bronco_In_Ny

Reaction score
I've moved from Fl to Ny and back to Florida and I've had the Mod go bad on each trip :blink: they don't like Heat and I was towing a 9500lbs trailer, I always keep an extra on hand in my tool box, but I will never buy on from a Auto parts store, they are cheaper then going to ford but I don't like trusting things like that to cheap parts..

Hummm Spark plug wires :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno