Help with driveability and swapout

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

numlaar

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this forum, so I apologize in advance for the length of this post... I am just running out of ideas and places to try to get some answers...

I have a two part problem, it involves an 89 F250 Pickup primarily, but I will be using an 82 Bronco to solve it (I hope)

Part 1

The main problem is, the pickup simply no longer runs properly... its an 89 with an EFI 351w, and an E40D transmission The truck was my grandfathers and sat a very long time, it only has 50k original miles on it.

It started by acting up intermittently.... running badly, when the check engine light came on, then running fine again when it went out, then back to running badly, not the light is all the time and its running badly all the time.

This truck is OBD1 so information from scans is minimal. I have repaired all KOE on/off codes except one which says "Idle RPM out of range". It had many with the EGR valve, EGR position solenoid, etc.

The catalytic converter was bad, and has been gutted.

The truck has been to 4 different shops, INCLUDING FORD, and NO ONE can fix it...

It has had the following replaced:

EGR Valve

EGR Position solenoid

O2 sensor

Distributor w/module

Computer (twice)

TPS

All new filters, all new tune up parts (plugs, cap, rotor, wires), fresh gasm fuel injection cleaned, throttle body cleaned, etc.

What is happening, is the truck will idle rough, then just stall completely randomly (you can crank it and it will restart), idle will go up/down, and its consuming a huge amount of fuel... it will backfire out of the exhaust on deceleration. When you take off, it will accelerate, then BAM!!! slam gears when shifting (throw you back in the seat hard)... basically the truck is, in my opinion, (and some others), NOT talking to the computer... It doesnt know how to idle, how to advance timing, when to shift, etc. its like its running without the computer, and just doing whatever the **** it wants... I have sunk over 1k in parts into this through these 4 places and no one can fix it. I am at the point of giving up so my first question is, Has anyone seen this before, and have a suggestion on a fix? (I know its not a bronco, but its the exact same driveline an 89 bronco would have).

Part 2:

If no one can give me a viable fix, I have decided to finally junk my 82 Bronco... it has a blown motor, but everything else is still working fine... it still runs (barely) and drives, shifts, etc. good 4wd, etc.

I want to take the transmission & xfer case, front diff, and put it all in the pickup making it a mechanical shift. then take the fuel injection and intake off, and put a new intake for a carb on it. So my question is, does anyone see any potential problems in doing this swap?

I would be going from an E40D electronic automatic with overdrive, to a plain ol C4? (I think thats whats in the 82 bronco), and going from fuel injected to carb, (which will need a fuel pressure regulator to drop the fuel psi down to what a carb can handle).

Thoughts, feedback, Help????

Thanks so much

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

What was that one Code for the "Idle RPM out of range"?

Have to find and fix that Code before you do the running test (KOER, key on, engine running). That test may help solve the problems

As a guess:

Note: "o" for KOEO (key on engine off), "r" for KOER (key on engine running (iggie these for now), and "c" for continuous or memory codes

12 ®: PCM could not increase idle speed above normal idle during KOER high RPM idle check. Suspect throttle body coking; Check the IAC valve. It may be stuck, dirty or bad. Check connector, terminals and wiring; long shot is EGR is stuck open

13 ®: PCM could not lower idle speed below normal idle during KOER low rpm idle check. Suspect Idle Bypass valve problems.

16 or 17 KOER

RPM too low to run HEGO test (Heated Oxygen sensor)

The RPM is low causing the EGO sensor to sense rich. Check MAP sesnor vacuum line for leak or bad MAP

It can also be caused by an adjustable fuel pressure regulator set too high. If this is the case, reduce fuel pressure.

MAP Operational Description, pic & Parameters; MAP sensors are only used in Speed Density systems

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=271414197_img.jpg

MAP Location pic by Jem270

========================

19 (o): Failure of PCM voltage regulator. There is a problem with the internal voltage regulator. No Vehicle Power (pins 37 + 57) or bad PCM V-PWR

check connector/terminals, wiring etc...Replace PCM.

See Computer (PCM, EEC) Pin outs, Bronco & Ford Truck & Van: 4.9, 460, 5.0, 5.8

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://fordfuelinjection.com/truckpinouts.html

eec04.gif

See (pins 37 + 57) V-PWR

(regulated 10-14 volts)

Connector Pin Diagram & Overview

Source: by Fireguy50 (Ryan M) at http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=3

see (pins 37 + 57) V-PWR

=================================

35 (orc*): EVP voltage above maximum limit during operation. EGR is sticking or EVP poss open signal return or short to power

Testing & Operation; "...The EGR Valve Position (EVP) sensor monitors the position of the EGR valve pintle. The EVP sensor converts the mechanical movement of the pintle into an electrical voltage signal which is relayed to the PCM. The EVP sensor is a linear potentiometer in which resistance varies with the EGR valve pintle movement.Voltage is fed to the EVP by the signal return circuit. As the EGR is opened the EVP directs more voltage to the EEC and less down the voltage reference circuit. The EVP sensor provides the PCM with information on EGR flow and EGR system failures. The EVP should read between 0.24 and 0.67volts at idle with a closed EGR valve..." read more

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=35

Backfire Possible Causes regardless of Codes;

Did you ck timing recently?

Adjustment in Ford EFI Engines; MIESK5 NOTE; Spark timing that is ******** from specification may increase exhaust gas temperature and shorten catalyst life. Refer to the following procedure for service details. a. Check spark timing. Check base timing with spout disconnected. Set base timing to the specification on the vehicle emission decal. b. Check computed timing with spout connected. NOTE: COMPUTED TIMING IS EQUAL TO BASE TIMING PLUS 20° BTDC ± 3°.

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=71

also caused by:

air injection system diverter valve problem

Diverter & Bypass Valves, Hoses, Crossover Tube, EGR Valve, PCV Port & Smog Pump Location pic in an 88 F 150 5.0

Source: by Steve83

emissionsv8.jpg

Check Valve Location pic in an 88 5.0 by Jem270

1988-5.0-thermactor.jpg

miesk5 Note, Air for the Thermactor system is cleaned by means of a centrifugal filter fan mounted on the air pump driveshaft. The air filter does not require any type of replaceable element. To prevent excessive pressure, the air pump is equipped with a pressure relief valve which uses a replaceable plastic plug to control the pressure setting. The Thermactor air pump has sealed bearings which are lubricated for the life of the unit and preset rotor vane and bearing clearances, which do not require any periodic adjustments. The air supply from the pump is controlled by the air by-pass valve, sometimes called a dump valve. During engine deceleration, the air by-pass valve opens, momentarily diverting the air supply through a silencer and into the atmosphere, thus preventing backfires within the exhaust system when deceleration supplies larger-than-normal amounts of unburned fuel to the exhaust ports. check valve is incorporated in the air inlet side of the air manifolds. Its purpose is to prevent exhaust gases from backing up into the Thermactor system. This valve is especially important in the event of drive belt failure and also during deceleration, when the air by-pass valve is dumping the air supply.

The air manifolds and air supply tubes channel the air from the Thermactor air pump into the exhaust ports of each cylinder, thus completing the cycle of the Thermactor system

an exhaust leak,

or when the catalytic converter has been removed

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo