Help with 96 Bronco starter relay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cpb81

Reaction score
I need help in understanding why my 96 bronco, will crank when attaching a 2 guage wire from relay post to starter side. I am increasing my wiring with 2 guage wire, from + battery to starter relay post of relay, from relay to alternator, other wires to same post; however, when I place the wire to starter on opposite post, the vehicle will crank. I have to place the wire to starter on same side as the wire from battery to hot post. I can not understand why this is happening. I do have the original wire attached to the other terminal to starter . Please explain why this is happening, as the vehicle runs like 50 more hp.
cpb81

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo cpb81,
Welcome!
I have to go out now,so seeifthis helps since I can't see your how your relays wired.

Screenshot_20201120-140256_Drive.jpg
96 Starter Relay pic by SeattleFSB
wmstarterrelay93conns.jpg

ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number); or @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or ... have VIN ready. While there, see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
To confirm current status, use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than the 94-96 recall.

Here's the 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual partial

96 Bronco Owner's Guide, Maintenance Schedules & Parts and Accessories by Ford @ Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

96 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1996 Ford Bronco Technical Info pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net ... scroll down

96 Bronco Quick Tips Brochure Excerpts & some Eddie Bauer options @ 1983 Ford Bronco 96 EB Bronco Brochures pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Register to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site .

OP
OP
C

cpb81

Reaction score
I need help in understanding why my 96 bronco, will crank when attaching a 2 guage wire from relay post to starter side. I am increasing my wiring with 2 guage wire, from + battery to starter relay post of relay, from relay to alternator, other wires to same post; however, when I place the wire to starter on opposite post, the vehicle will crank. I have to place the wire to starter on same side as the wire from battery to hot post. I can not understand why this is happening. I do have the original wire attached to the other terminal to starter . Please explain why this is happening, as the vehicle runs like 50 more hp.
cpb81
This is the exact way my 96 is set up. I only ran a 2 gauge wire over e ach factory wire to improve system. I did run a wire from relay to alternator, on right side of relay from battery. When I applied the 2 wire to the other side (to starter), it cranks.. I had to remove from the starter side, and place on hot wire side from battery to work. I now only have the original wire to the starter side to work. I read earlier today, that if you have a PMGR starter, you have to place the starter wire on right + side with battery. I am getting a hot wire continually on the starter side if I place on other side as shown on pic. I am not sure if I am ok with the wire from relay that is hot to the starter top post? I guess I am ok, as the truck runs great when I set up this way. I have grounds in all suggested areas from battery to frame, block, and next to battery on wall. I did run a 175 amp from alternator to relay. I have 4:10 gears, with 10:50, 31 tires, and 73 thousand original miles, excellent leather interior, baggage rack on top, flowmaster exhaust, with K/N air system under hood, top grade wires, distributor, and only run Amsoil for motor. Best oil going. Thanks for info, but if you can think of a better way ---why is happens, please let me know.
cpb81

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo CPB,
YW!
Can you post a pic of the #2 wire at relay?

Smaller red trigger wire to starter solenoid should be on left side big post.

OP
OP
C

cpb81

Reaction score
Yes, that is how mine is set up. I took to local mechanic, and was told I have it wired correctly now, as the 2 gauge- wire has to go from same + post as the battery is on. I don't understand why when I place the larger wire on top of the original oem , left side terminal, the vehicle tries to crank? I thought the starter wire is on left side, and is positive. I am getting 14.4 reading with change, and I hope it is correct. I tried to go from the battery + to starter with wire, and it would not work. Even with the 175 amp, Megafuse to alterator from relay, I think I could just leave the 2 gauge wire off from the relay to starter. .The upgrade from + battery to relay, from relay to alternator, and to proper grounds, should suffice, using 2 gauge wire.
cpb81

OP
OP
C

cpb81

Reaction score
Ok, I think I have it in my old mind now. The original wire to left terminal is only one trigger wire, and I was thinking it has another to starter. I see it now, and the larger wire to starter has to be hot from relay side. The larger wire from relay, goes to top starter post on starter. The other smaller wire to the lower post on starter. Thanks for info to an old bronco 96 owner. My Silverado 2500, with 8.1 motor, was simple to improve with #2 wire, from the + battery to alternator, to grounds on frame, and block---over 14 on reading.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo cpb,
YW!
Check grounds from battery negative post to block and then to frame.
Ground to block. This ground runs to the frame.G103

img_7863.jpg

Ground from block to frame, the other ground runs up to the NEG side of the battery. G102

img_7865.jpg

Ground behind passenger side kick panel. G200

img_7861.jpg

Ground behind drivers side kick panel.G201

img_7860.jpg

Ground by gas tank near rear bumper. G401

img_7859.jpg

EEC test ground, drivers side fender wall.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke