help identifing this engine please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elmo

Reaction score
i have a v8 with an edelbrock square bore 4bbl intake with the casting numbers- EOAE D3G beside where the starter mounts. can anyone give any insite on what i have. I think its a 1980 302 from a car am i right. i was told there is something special about the heads but i have not gotten the numbers from them yet. Help Please

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo ELMO,

Casting Numbers Overview & Legend from 40 to 80's; GREAT INFO!; such as; It would read E for the decade (1982); T for All truck 1958-65; light and medium truck including Bronco 1974-82; light truck and Bronco I 1983-later; E (probably) for Engine Engineering; Powertrain and Chassis product Engineering Source: by gearheadracing.com via replay.waybackmachine.orgSlow to <Oad ine I retrieved it from WWW heaven

"There is no code stamped n the block itself that can be used to identify the cubic inch displacement of the block. Casting numbers can be helpful, but some blocks used several different casting numbers, and in some cases, one casting is not interchangeable with the other. Engines are identified by a tag attached to the engine. This tag is used on all late 1964-1970 models and located under the coil attaching bolt. On the tag is the displacement, assembly plant, model year, change level, engine code (useful in identifying high performance engines) and date of production. This tag is easily lost or replaced with a fake tag, so don't rely solely on the tag for identification."

or

http://www.classicmustang.com/decoding_part_numbers.htm

EOAE D3G

EO = 1980

A = Full size/Galaxy/Ford, 1958-later

E = Engine Engineering; Powertrain and Chassis product Engineering

The next group of numbers describe the part. I use these numbers at swap meets or salvage yard to match to existing numbers I have. I know if the basic number is the same it should be compatible if the suffix number on the part you are comparing is a later alpha character than the existing one. Early suffix designations generally begin with "A" and increment through the alphabet as design changes are made that affect interchangeability. If the suffix on the part I was looking to replace (my existing part) was an "A" I could use parts with have a "B" suffix. If the part I was looking to replace (my existing part) had a "B" suffix, a part with the "A" suffix would probably have a compatibility issue. Parts that have later suffix codes are the ones to get.

Bronco Kid!

Reaction score
that is the same stamp that is on my 302, when i took my heads into the machine shop he said that they were the best stock cast heads that they made, they're not gt40 heads but really good cast..

OP
OP
Elmo

Elmo

Reaction score
Thanks guys

Given whom had this engine before me (a mustang lover)there is no telling what is inside it. I know the heads are not what came on the block originally. its suposed to have a mild to radical cam and was running a 650 holly when it last ran, about 3-4 years ago. i dont know what ill do with it since my bronco has a 351 and is EFI i dont really plan to down size to the 302 and i dont have anything that uses or needs a 302 at the moment.

bobstrat

Reaction score
that is the same stamp that is on my 302, when i took my heads into the machine shop he said that they were the best stock cast heads that they made, they're not gt40 heads but really good cast..
mustang guys steal the heads off the 5.0 explorer as they are a cast version of the gt40.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo