Has anyone use IRIUDIUM SPARK PLUGS.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I killed the plugs in my 78 bronco . Before I buy another set . I,d like to get other(s) opinions who have. The likes and did-likes about them. Thanks. I had Champions because I always had better luck with them the auto lite.

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
I have used IRIUDIUM plugs before but in a 2v 4.6. Not in a push rod engine. IMHO I like copper Motorcraft plugs for my Pushrod V8s.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I have used IRIUDIUM plugs before but in a 2v 4.6. Not in a push rod engine. IMHO I like copper Motorcraft plugs for my Pushrod V8s.
Well I had always had good luck with Champions and noticed the Iriudium plugs and thought I asked about them. A relative was telling me he had used Champion to until some thing happened at Champion and he quit using them because they are junk. Maybe others are having Champion going bad and its not their Carb or something else .Thanks Skitter.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no advantage to running the High dollar iriudium. You can certainly run them, but will gain nothing.

I agree champion has been spotty. Autolite I have not had a problem with. But anymore who knows where they are made and what quality control is like.

Over the years I have tried a bunch of different ones, E3 was a big fail. Truck would not start below 30 degrees. V4, split fires did not see any advantages. It all seems to come back to the cheapest plug is being the best.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
There is no advantage to running the High dollar iriudium. You can certainly run them, but will gain nothing.

I agree champion has been spotty. Autolite I have not had a problem with. But anymore who knows where they are made and what quality control is like.

Over the years I have tried a bunch of different ones, E3 was a big fail. Truck would not start below 30 degrees. V4, split fires did not see any advantages. It all seems to come back to the cheapest plug is being the best.
Thanks Tiha. Hope everything is going good for you.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score

I read where Motorcraft is made in CHINA------BUT under Fords strict quality control. Some NGK,s are made hear and in Thailand

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
IMHO running a hotter coil can improve combustion, but you need new spark plug wires as well. To gain the full benefit of the higher output coil, depending on the new output voltage you would open up your spark plug gap roughly another .010 to get the most out of it.

I have ******* around with a bunch of that performance stuff and honestly on a fuel injected engine running properly I never saw any gains. Although if you read up on the "six liter tune up" you will find lots of guys claiming great gains. Often I have wondered if they had other problems, like their local fuel supply was ******* or low compression, maybe weak, leaking injectors, worn rings that type of thing because I have tried it on a couple of vehicles and did not see it, however I did create problems. Twice I have had the aftermarket higher voltage coil fail on me in the middle of nowhere. I put the OEM ford back on, even with the larger spark plug gaps and had no more problems.

If it is an older Carb engine, especially with a points distributor there is great advantages moving to a pointless, HEI system. May not feel the HP gains, but it will start easier, run smoother and improve MPG.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
IMHO running a hotter coil can improve combustion, but you need new spark plug wires as well. To gain the full benefit of the higher output coil, depending on the new output voltage you would open up your spark plug gap roughly another .010 to get the most out of it.

I have ******* around with a bunch of that performance stuff and honestly on a fuel injected engine running properly I never saw any gains. Although if you read up on the "six liter tune up" you will find lots of guys claiming great gains. Often I have wondered if they had other problems, like their local fuel supply was ******* or low compression, maybe weak, leaking injectors, worn rings that type of thing because I have tried it on a couple of vehicles and did not see it, however I did create problems. Twice I have had the aftermarket higher voltage coil fail on me in the middle of nowhere. I put the OEM ford back on, even with the larger spark plug gaps and had no more problems.

If it is an older Carb engine, especially with a points distributor there is great advantages moving to a pointless, HEI system. May not feel the HP gains, but it will start easier, run smoother and improve MPG.
I put a low mile-age 68 -390 in it. It has new timimng chain,oil pump (it had about 20,000 on the motor. At the time all I knew was it looked new from inside the motor and didn,t want to take any chances. Then I put a new tune up on it. It has about 2 miles on it and has idle mostly. I also just added a new Holley 650. Since its a 390 and I have ran them before. About the best I every got was around 13. I figure maybe later on going to a higher gear(s)

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I put a low mile-age 68 -390 in it. It has new timimng chain,oil pump (it had about 20,000 on the motor. At the time all I knew was it looked new from inside the motor and didn,t want to take any chances. Then I put a new tune up on it. It has about 2 miles on it and has idle mostly. I also just added a new Holley 650. Since its a 390 and I have ran them before. About the best I every got was around 13. I figure maybe later on going to a higher gear(s)
I,ll get a set of Motorcraft plugs tomorrow.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score

I had the poitless system in 2 other Fords and one was in a dump truck loaded and the power box went out and hear I was going down hill with about 12 ton. Not a good feeling and another time in my other bronco.While I was working on it. I went to points and never looked back. Seems I like them better and for saftey reason.

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
MSD Box helps too. Just check your timing after you install it. I put one on my Centurion and it got those 35"s moving much easier from a stop. Put one on my 300 I6 and it felt like a torque boost.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
MSD Box helps too. Just check your timing after you install it. I put one on my Centurion and it got those 35"s moving much easier from a stop. Put one on my 300 I6 and it felt like a torque boost.
Talk about boost. Have you ever came down a hill with about 14 ton pushing you. That boost I don,t want to feel again.haha I,d rather replace points once in awhile. Thank you anyways.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Talk about boost. Have you ever came down a hill with about 14 ton pushing you. That boost I don,t want to feel again.haha I,d rather replace points once in awhile. Thank you anyways.
UP=DATE-Skitter, I went to change the plugs in my Bronco and noticed the plug wires DID NOT fit over the plug all the way down. I checked all the plugs and they were all wet with gas.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Then I got to think how it ran when last running. It started putting out gray smoke--it wasn,t burning the gas. After I put on the new carb. I crank it--not pumping the gas and it wouldn,t hit at all. I checked the plugs and they were all wet. Which tells they weren,t fireing. Because the plug wires was NOT going down all the way and fireing th. Half this NEW STUFF a person e plugs . Or the wireing filiment was not much good. So I ordered a new set of OEM Motorcraft for the 78 Bronce from Jeff,s bronco. When the weather clears up. When I get them. I,ll install the and see what it does--WITHOUT pumping the gas.Just crank iit and see if it will start Half the stuff you buy now days is China junk. Makes you wonder about the military--take off in their plane and a wing falls off because of bad rivets.I,m glad I,m not their pilot.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Now this MSD box. Will it hook up tp the hook up plug the 78 Bronco has? I ran a dual point distributor once and found it seem to give more power. Don,t know whatever happened to that distributor. I have so much stufff. Alot of its covered up with other junk. Need a garage with plenty of roo, If that is possible.hahaha

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
MDS had great instuctions on how to wire the box, but in simple, you wire the 12v coil leads into the box wiring and the new output leads go to the coil. Adding the MSD box causes a small delay so you'll notice a drop of 5-7° of timing, Just rotate the dizzy to get your timing back to normal and your golden.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
MDS had great instuctions on how to wire the box, but in simple, you wire the 12v coil leads into the box wiring and the new output leads go to the coil. Adding the MSD box causes a small delay so you'll notice a drop of 5-7° of timing, Just rotate the dizzy to get your timing back to normal and your golden.
Thanks Skitter. Has anyone see Meisk? Hope he,s doing good.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JWBronco1996