GT40 Marine 5.8 in my bronco?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ecoboosted

Reaction score
Ok guys, I just found a brand new, never run 5.8 boat crate engine. Looks like a lightening engine- anybody have any idea how this would have been configured from the factory, and if I could just drop it in place of my 1995 5.8?

Should I be concerned about it never having fluids in it for 25 years?

What should I pay for it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200314-083211_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200314-083211_Facebook.jpg
    732.8 KB · Views: 14

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, that looks like a random piece of Gold you found there! O_O Don't even know what the value would be on that engine. But I would put it in a bronco any day of the week. But plan on using a MAF EFI system or aftermarket efi system to run it.

I wouldn't worry about the engine being dry for 25 years as long as it turns freely. Just remember to follow the engine break in instructions to the tee.

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on the Cam specs and how close they are to a road rated 351. A normal SD EEC could probably run the motor no issue. However I don't think you would enjoy the performance potential of the engine. MAF would help the engine make more out of the box. At the end of the day any raod going EEC would need a custom tune to maximize the engine. MAF is by far the most popular for aftermarket support.

OP
OP
E

Ecoboosted

Reaction score
Yeah I'm good going MAF eventually, just need to spread out the spending...

Looks like the cam is 204/214* duration @ .050 lift .440/.460" lift

chillsam

Reaction score
Try STINGER performance ..they should be able to get u a plug n play set up..

caryt

Reaction score
If your wanting Lighting motor my bud has one a NOS 1995 crate motor still with factory oil etc. Never started. Also available a Lentech AOD build with low gear sets etc.

Its at Wayne Hanson's shop in Calif.

PM me if interested for his contact info.

petek

Reaction score
To start out do you know if it was for a single engine boat? Or a twin engine boat? If it was for a twin, depends if its a Port or Starboard engine. Port will turn counter clock wise. Starboard will turn clock wise.
As around that time, and may still be that way today. Port prop spun into the other side. And Starboard side turned into the port side.
Had to change out a 460 in a 40ft cigarette boat years ago. We bought it as a repo. Guy had blown one engine. Then tossed in a truck motor. That engine Turned clock wise.
Almost flipped a 40ft boat right after reaching speed. Plus rod came out of that block. After the prop came out of the water.
So make sure of engine rotaion before tossing in a boat engine. Hate to see your work be for nothing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo