Grab bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robertwesley

Reaction score
Looking for some ideas for a grab bar/ handle? I have a ‘96 XLT and my wife has a hard time climbing up into her seat! Our 2017 Dodge Ram has nice handles on the door pillars and would like to add something similar? Any ideas where to find such and how to attach?
Thanks,

Reaction score
i put a 'grab handle' in my 93 above the doors... i dont remember what i got them out of but i drilled a small pilot hole and screwed em in... they work great... i can send a pic if you want to see em...

BIG ACE

Reaction score
Looking for some ideas for a grab bar/ handle? I have a ‘96 XLT and my wife has a hard time climbing up into her seat! Our 2017 Dodge Ram has nice handles on the door pillars and would like to add something similar? Any ideas where to find such and how to attach?
Thanks,
Look on Amazon, I installed grab bars from them and suitcase handles, works great

OP
OP
R

Robertwesley

Reaction score
i put a 'grab handle' in my 93 above the doors... i dont remember what i got them out of but i drilled a small pilot hole and screwed em in... they work great... i can send a pic if you want to see em...
Thank you and yes, a picture would be great!

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen guys use Ford explore handles drilled into the A pillar. Havn't tryed it myself.

OP
OP
R

Robertwesley

Reaction score
Would very much like to see what you did! Thanks in advance!

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I grabbed these from random super motors.
grab-handle.jpg

You could bolt something there. There is steel behind the plastic molding.

Otherwise something over the door. Much fancier than you need, but these are cheap. Came in lots of 70's 4 door cars. Conversion vans.
dcp_0064_001.jpg

OP
OP
R

Robertwesley

Reaction score
I grabbed these from random super motors.
grab-handle.jpg

You could bolt something there. There is steel behind the plastic molding.

Otherwise something over the door. Much fancier than you need, but these are cheap. Came in lots of 70's 4 door cars. Conversion vans.
dcp_0064_001.jpg
I like those on the pillar! How did you attach them? When I took off that piece of trim that “A” pillar wasn’t flat...?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like he used what a call a blind nut.

Not sure where you can get them locally, maybe home depot or hardware store? I get them from grainger. I am sure they are online plenty of places.

But you drill a hole, barely big enough to fit the insert in (insert is the blind nut)
Then as you tighten the bolt the nut collapses and expands. Basically pinching itself around the steel and holding it in place.

derekk

Reaction score
Look at McMaster.com for general hardware. They have lots of stuff on line. Fastenal is another resource.

OP
OP
R

Robertwesley

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures and ideas! Went to local Pick and Pull and found what I needed in an Explorer...put a bar above the passenger door and it makes a big difference for my wife!!!
im thinking of putting one above driver door as well, but would prefer one on the pillar as pictured by Tiha...can’t find anything similar yet that will work on the pillar....?
New issue.....my ‘96’ really “wanders” and “hunts”....recently added 2 1/2 BDS Leveling kit/lift with new leafs in rear, Skyjacker steering stabilizer, had re-alignment done but not much if any difference? It wanders enough to be a bit of a danger.....ideas?
Just got back from a “Bronco SUPER CELEBRATION up in Buena Vista, CO.... highly recommend if you want to see lots of great Broncos and some beautiful country!!
Thanks!0

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures and ideas! Went to local Pick and Pull and found what I needed in an Explorer...put a bar above the passenger door and it makes a big difference for my wife!!!
im thinking of putting one above driver door as well, but would prefer one on the pillar as pictured by Tiha...can’t find anything similar yet that will work on the pillar....?
New issue.....my ‘96’ really “wanders” and “hunts”....recently added 2 1/2 BDS Leveling kit/lift with new leafs in rear, Skyjacker steering stabilizer, had re-alignment done but not much if any difference? It wanders enough to be a bit of a danger.....ideas?
Just got back from a “Bronco SUPER CELEBRATION up in Buena Vista, CO.... highly recommend if you want to see lots of great Broncos and some beautiful country!!
Thanks!0
Yo Robert,
"
  • Wanders Side to Side — Loose Steering
  • Vehicle overloaded or unevenly loaded.
  • CORRECT as required.
  • Improper (mismatched) tires and wheels.
  • INSTALL correct tire and wheel combination. REFER to Section 04-04.
  • Improper tire pressure.
  • ADJUST air pressure in tires.
  • Loose steering gear mounting.
  • ADJUST to 73-89 Nm (54-66 lb-ft).
  • Front and rear suspension components loose, worn or exhibit damaged condition.
  • TIGHTEN or REPLACE as necessary. REFER to Group 04.
  • Loose, worn or damaged steering sector shaft arm drag link.
  • Loose wheel lug nuts.
  • TIGHTEN to specifications.
  • Spindle pin (king pin) binding.
  • LUBRICATE suspension. REFER to Group 04.
  • Improperly adjusted front wheel bearing.
  • ADJUST to specification.
  • Steering column intermediate shaft coupling fractured.
  • REPLACE as required.
  • Incorrect toe setting.
  • Improperly adjusted steering gear.
  • ADJUST to specification (meshload only). REFER to Section 11-02B or Section 11-02D.
  • Miesk5 Note be very careful in this adjustment, take time to do it as specified.
  • Steering column misaligned.
  • Steering column components loose or exhibit excessive play.
  • REPAIR as required."

OP
OP
R

Robertwesley

Reaction score
Miesk5, Thank you once again! I have new tires and air is all the same pressure! Was hoping the new tires and new front springs would take some of the slop out of the steering...not much help. Had the PS pump replaced as soon as I bought this vehicle as well as frt hubs and bearings, (outer and spindle) and new drag link. Had the new BDS leveling kits with new shocks put on last week at my old shop in Colorado Springs and they tightened a rod adj. sleeve, radius arm bracket and they noted slight wear in the tie rod ends, slight play in the steering gear box and some play in slip joint. I am not much of a mechanic so don’t know enough to translate all that information as to the wandering issue!?? Will probably try to take it back down to C Springs next week and have them go over with a fine tooth comb! Any thoughts?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke