Fuel Fitting on Mechanical Pump

pj31704

Reaction score
I wanted to see what others have used to run your fuel line from the mechanical pump up to the filter then to carb. I have replaced the pump before and was never happy with the previous owners setup. Since I need to replace it again I figured I would take the chance to fix this.

The current setup has an old steel line that screws into the pump, it looks like at one time it ran the full length to carb, but basically has been cut after about 8" and has a fuel line attached. This then runs to my filter and to the carb. I would like to run the steel mesh line this entire length, but my hangup is how to attach it to the pump where it needs to be screwed in. I have found a few 90 degree fittings, however I am unsure if I would be able to use since they do not have the same free moving thread. And I think if I tried to ***** on the fitting the line that comes out on the 90 degree bend would hit the line going into the pump.

Hopefully this all makes sense, if anyone has images of their setup from the pump or products they have used I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• 20220911_080939.jpg
    20220911_080939.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220911_080951.jpg
    20220911_080951.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220911_080958.jpg
    20220911_080958.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 5

goodO1boydws

Reaction score
The closeup of the steel line fitting looks as though it's most likely the same thread and size as those used on brake lines. And it looks as though that steel line is either 5/16" or 1/4" or the metric equivalent. (On older vehicles brake lines are much bigger diameter than on the newer cars.)

Take the metal line to an auto parts store and see if it matches a fitting that they have which is already ON a brake line. Then just bend the line to whatever configuration you need and cut it wherever you want.

The OEM steel lines are always hard line tubing, because they need to have have a lot of bends to stay clear of everything-for safety.
To use that type of tubing, and to make anything but a very shallow or large radius bend, a small diameter tubing bender is used to keep the line at maximum flow capacity. Without one the line flattens if you put sharp/small radius bends in it.
(Inexpensive tubing benders are readily available and useful for keeping the line looking "professional"/neatly routed, and handy for keeping brake lines tucked if you ever need to splice or duplicate a brake line.)

You MAY be able to get by with using the hand-bendable tubing if you only run a short length, and lots of people do, but I don't recommend that for this situation on a vehicle that may go off road and bounce around much. Any wrench slip or other force pulling or pushing on it can much more easily deform a soft line that is already in place.
Like a long length of steel covered flex line flopping around. (relatively heavy-compared to plain hose)

If this was mine, and if I was determined to use it, I'd run the hard line at least far enough to where a transition to the steel mesh covered line isn't obvious.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phillycc