Front drive does not work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOB MARLIN

Reaction score
1990 5.0 manual transfer case and manual hubs.
Transfer will shift into 4x4 high and low with no problem. Light on the dash verifies it, but the front drive shaft is not driven. The low gear works as well as the high gear but only to the rear wheels, no connection the the front drive shaft. I put it up on the lift and can lock and unlock the front hubs and watch the front drive shaft move when I spin the front tire by hand when locked so that part seems good. The transfer case makes no noise or any other symptoms that would make you think something is wrong. It just doesn't engage the front drive. HELP !

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a broken shift fork in the trans case. Is it a 1356?

OP
OP
B

BOB MARLIN

Reaction score
I believe it is. I've never had to work on a chain driven transfer case before so I don't quite know what goes on in there. Can it be inspected without pulling it out of the vehicle ?.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Bob,
1356 Manual Shift identification tag in a 90
bw1356id.jpg
by Steve83
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBBAC&usg=AOvVaw2ZWFRkc4fmOxdRaYXrbwjW

https://www.allstategear.com/BW1356-Case-Saver-Kit-p/36605.htm
BW1356 Transfer Case Case-Saver Kit, Shifter Shaft Spacers, 36605. - Transfer Case Parts at Wholesale Pricing
BW1356 Case Saver Kit, Shifter Shaft Spacers, 36605 - Allstate Gear, Inc.

case saver spacer 36605-0 from www.allstategear.com

No Movement or Neutral Position Tip/Saver Spacer & pic; "...Many 1987-1995 Ford F series 4x4 trucks and full size Bronco owners with 1356 manual shift transfer cases commonly complain of a "no movement" or an occasional neutral condition. This condition is usually caused by the linkage wearing the transfer case at its point of contact (1356 manual shift models only). Sonnax offers a case saver spacer 36605-01. This case saver spacer goes between the shift selector cam and the case and requires no special tools to install. The spacer moves the cam closer to the shift fork, thus preventing and/or eliminating: 1) one or both shift forks from becoming disengaged from the shift cam, 2) "slop"from the linkage caused by a worn linkage bore in front case half. This item is a specific size/thickness not commonly found in ordinary flat washers. This repair is quick, easy and a lot less expensive than repairing or replacing the case. Model: 36605-01..." Source: by transmichigan.com via miesk5 at Ford Bronco Zone Forums
BW1356 Case Saver Kit, Shifter Shaft Spacers, 36605 - Allstate Gear, Inc.

case saver spacer 36605-0 from www.allstategear.com
BW1356 Transfer Case Case-Saver Kit, Shifter Shaft Spacers, 36605. - Transfer Case Parts at Wholesale Pricing

Attachments

• 1621870647867.jpeg
    1621870647867.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 1621870669965.jpeg
    1621870669965.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Splitting the case is not hard, but putting it back together in the truck can get frustrating. You can do it though.

Miesk brought up a good point. The shift fork does 2 things, not only does it engage the low planetary it also engages the front shaft. Sounds like it is at least doing half that, so maybe if it could move just a little more.

Have you removed the linkage from the case and manually operated it right on the case itself?

If that doesn't do it, then one of the pin bushings or guides on the shift fork is worn out. Have to split the case to repair.

Don't know what parts are like around you, but I bought a used case off marketplace for $100 just for the parts I would need to fix mine. Opened it and it looked brand new inside.
So some new seals and it was way cheaper than fixing the broken one I removed.

OP
OP
B

BOB MARLIN

Reaction score
I just took ownership of this vehicle 2 days ago so I'm still in the "discovery" stage. Its a vehicle that's been sitting for 17 years so there is a few issues but I wasn't counting on this one. The transfer looks just like the one in the posted picture so I'm assuming it is the 1356. Looks like I'll be pulling it out of the truck next week end after disconnecting the linkage to try to get it to move more. Is there a preferred parts house for these things ?. Are there any "Obsolete" parts that might ***** the pooch on this project ?. As far as looking for a good used one, here in so cal. everything costs more than everywhere else so I would prefer to fix the one I have.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
All the parts are available.

I am not sure what years but some had plastic shift forks and some had metal. They interchange so no big deal.

Just google BW1356 rebuilt kit. You will be able to pic whatever vendor you want.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually you should google transfercase pump mod. That is a must do upgrade.

I looked here on this site and didn't see anyone talk about it.
Can't find the pictures from when I did mine either.

OP
OP
B

BOB MARLIN

Reaction score
That "washer" case saver is no longer available. I'm a machinist so making one would be no big deal. I can't find any info on where it actually goes though. What exactly is it spacing over ?. The shift fork ?. Is it just a hardened ****** washer ?.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting, anyway, the end of the oil pump just kind of rode in a groove molded into the case.

When I did mine I just cut the head off of a 5/16" bolt and welded it on the end of the pump lever.

Below are borrowed internet images.

Attachments

• BW1356-2 066.jpg
    BW1356-2 066.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 10
  • wmbw13562-048.jpg
    wmbw13562-048.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2969.jpg
    IMG_2969.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 0628201456c-HDR.jpg
    0628201456c-HDR.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 14
OP
OP
B

BOB MARLIN

Reaction score
Does this gear that the shift fork moves look backwards ?. I turned it around and and it seems to work when actuating it on the bench.
Everything in the case looks like new. I think they put that gear on backwards when somebody did a rebuild. I'd feel better if someone here could verify it before I button this back up.

Also for those that say the t case is easy to remove. If it is a California truck, the cats are in the way and you can't get to the top passenger side bolt from underneath. You have to remove the floor panel from inside the truck to get to it. That means the front seats and carpet needs to be removed.

Attachments

• IMG_1082 (2).jpg
    IMG_1082 (2).jpg
    521.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Kind of hard to tell from that pic. The operate differently when the case is split because the other end is not in its support or bushing.
It looks right in that picture.

OP
OP
B

BOB MARLIN

Reaction score
I turned it around and it seems to work now, at least on the bench. I can't try it in the truck yet because it also had a broken snap ring on the output shaft. That particular snap ring is special and no longer available from anyone. I found a few on ebay and am now waiting for them to arrive.
That gear that I believe was in backwards is actually the coupler that joins the the front drive gear to the output shaft. There is a spring loaded end to it and that end is now pointed toward the outside of the case. I hope its right now.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
had a broken snap ring on the output shaft. That particular snap ring is special and no longer available from anyone.
LOL Glad you got it off, people give up on T case rebuilds because of trying to get that snap ring out.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I turned it around and it seems to work now, at least on the bench. I can't try it in the truck yet because it also had a broken snap ring on the output shaft. That particular snap ring is special and no longer available from anyone. I found a few on ebay and am now waiting for them to arrive.
That gear that I believe was in backwards is actually the coupler that joins the the front drive gear to the output shaft. There is a spring loaded end to it and that end is now pointed toward the outside of the case. I hope its right now.
Theirs a company in Montana that bought another company out. I think its called QUADTRACK OR SOMETHING. They sale hard to find parts. Are reasonably and fast service. I,ll look in my tool box tomorrow and try to find the company name.

OP
OP
B

BOB MARLIN

Reaction score
I did find a place in Montana that listed the part, but in reality they haven't been able to get it in years. What worries me is there are some conflicting info on the part numbers. There is a "dash" A through D that uses the same number but they are all different snap rings.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I did find a place in Montana that listed the part, but in reality they haven't been able to get it in years. What worries me is there are some conflicting info on the part numbers. There is a "dash" A through D that uses the same number but they are all different snap rings.
I just looked in my tool box and did not find the box I got my part from. I,m thinking it was from Helena,Montana. Sorry,buit I will keep looking.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I just typed in---4 wheel drive parts in Montana----and got a buch of people who deal in old and new model 4 wheel drive parts. One has been in business for over 30 years. Good luck.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Bob,
In addition to johnnyreb's source,cCall Rockland Standard Gear; Inc
"We offer free technical support to our customers at 1-800-227-1523 extension 299. Our world class experts will call you back quickly with answers to your manual transmission, transfer case, and performance and race unit questions. This service is free, and available only to our customers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar