EZ Wiring Harness....NEW TIPS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

genthree

Reaction score
Don't be afraid of this harness.  It is VERY complete and very well marked and VERY worth the money.  I am VERY satisfied with my purchase.

Use wire nuts until you are sure you want to terminate wires - These wires are VERY long for the EB.  Run your ignition and charging circuits first and make sure it will fire and charge.  I have eaten up a TON of wire connectors because I wanted to reroute or shorten wires.  Using wire nuts to start with will make things temporary, so you can keep your options open.

Don't get hung up on fixing the fuse box firm.  Get it close to where you want it, but keep it loose.  You will want to get at the back of it.

GO SLOW....

When you start keep everything connected and cut the wire far enough back so that you can see the wire colors that were originally in place.  SAVE EVERYTHING (for now).  If you run into a problem you can always trace back thru the wiring harness that you have removed.  SAVE EVERYTHING.

Keep your cell phone with you and take lots of pictures.  You never know when you are going to have a problem putting something back in the correct spot.  

You can always SHORTEN a wire.  Adding length can be ugly.   Leave yourself a little extra wire on all connections.

You will need to thread a wire through a loop in the back of the AMP METER.  Don't cut it short until you do this....

Don't remove wires from the fuse box until you KNOW you don't want them.  Think about options for futures expansion BEFORE you eliminate circuits.

Once you get close to being done, mount the fuse box.  It is OK to cut the three wire ties close to the fuse panel.  DON'T do it before you get ready to mount your fuse panel, you will have a mess on your hands.

Seabronc has posted a VERY complete wiring diagram and if you print it in color it is a VERY helpful tool while you are doing this project.  I printed it in color and cut and taped it to a piece of cardboard to keep near me while I was working.  Mark any changes you make to the wiring diagram on this and you will be very happy you did, if electrical gremlins strike you in the future.

Invest is a VERY good wire stripper and crimper, you are going to use it them A LOT!!!

Four wires on an alternator means that one wire went to a carb heater, it is not a ground.  If you ground that little wire you will start a fire, while you are celebrating you car starting for the first time in several days......  Just saying....

HAVE FUN!!!!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
You see...., I knew you would end up being the "EB wiring Guru"...!! ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Great post..!!  Be sure to check in often as there will likely be some questions pop up.

After this soaks in a bit.., we'll likely move this to the "HOW-TO" section as well.

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
I really look forward to getting the thing wrapped up and completed.  Found out that my Neutral Safety Switch and Windshield wiper switch have issues with them.  Tom's closes at 4:30 so I have to wait until Monday.....

Can't wait to get it back on the road....

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
I just want this to be over....  It is absolutely a royal pain in the butt when you only get blocks of time for an hour or so to complete this project.

Did primary routing and connections to make sure it started and ran, then connected all of the lights and accessories to make sure that they were all connected properly.

Now I am making final connections and shortening wires to make everything pretty and tidy.

Lots of connectors, lots of time and lots of patience.  Not many major mistakes thus far.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke