Exploring options for building my 5.8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elmo

Reaction score
Ladies and gents I need some advice. My 5.8L lost oil press after a few attempts to revive it, with no luck ofcourse, It has been replaced with a 5.8 from an 89 e250 (which happened to have the saginaw p/s pump and bracket i need for that mod)it is now running fine. My plan is to build the 5.8 that I pulled out, what i dont know is what are my limitations on cam, boreing, ect.. Considering that this engine and EFI set up is speed density system what should i do to get a little more torque and HP while staying with the EFI. I am open to replacing heads cam rocker arms boreing the block 30 over. I am not looking to set new land speed records or do wheel stands and burnouts, I want a dependable truck good sounding and performing daily driver. Let me hear your thoughts.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo ELMO!

Here ya go;

This is by Ryan M

Best 5.0L/5.8L (302/351) Roller EFI cam:

89-95 Mustang 5.0L **

Ford Part numbers: E8ZE-6250-CA / F1ZE-6250-AA / F4ZE-6250-DA

* Advertised Duration: 276 / 266

* Duration at .050 in.: 214 / 210

* Gross valve lift: 0.444 / 0.444

* Lobe separation: 115°

Stock 351

* Duration at .050 in.: 206 / 221

* Gross valve lift: 0.440 / 0.450

* Lobe separation: 115°

Linkbar lifters can be used to retrofit a roller cam into an older block

Ryan wrote elsewhere; "if you have the stock truck computer you are limited as to what you can do. The cams I listed above are about all you have to choose from. If you have a carb, or feel like spending $750-$3000 on programmable EFI you can pick out what ever cam you want. anyone buys a higher performance cam than the above limits for a stock truck computer, they will ruin the dependability of the truck. Fuel ratios will be way off, and idle will be so bad the owner will sell the truck. A mild cam wouldn't necisarily make you fail an emmsions test. But why put in a mild cam without intake and exhaust mods would yeild much of an improment. You can buy headers, cam and intake all with CA smog legal papers."

Ryan

357 Build-Up in an 89

Source: by Tim C (TnTbronco2, Trail Truck, Street Truck, Crazed, Broke, OoG) at http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/1725/14465

357 C.I. Windsor

Windsor JR Heads

1.6 Ratio Billet Roller rockers

Balanced Rotating Assy

Edelbrock Shorty Headers

Edelbrock Performer EFI intake manifold

Edelbrock Performer Plus Cam #3782

Double roller timing chain

HV oil pump

Mass Air with A9P GT computer

C&L meters 73 meter cal'd 19lb

K&N air and oil filters