Engine Recommendations for '69 restore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowker88

Reaction score
Hey folks.  I bought a '69 Bronco and I'm restoring it. The engine is not usable so I need to pick an engine to put in it.  I didn't want to assume that I was getting a 302 and thought I would ask the community for any ideas\suggestions of engines that are a good match for the classic Bronco.  I want a powerful engine matched with a 5-speed that will give me some punch but also be something that I can take on a 3 or 4 hour road trip comfortably.  

Let me know what you would do if you had a chance to select an engine.

Thanks!

IMG_1849.JPG

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi bowker.., welcome..!!

If you're going to referbish/modify ("resto" means totally stock) your rig & want power & cruise performance.., it's not just the eng. you should be look'n at.

Side note: I've driven my rig several times to Reno & back 7-8 hr. one way. I would say it's was fun & comfortable BUT, hardly like cruise'n in my F-150..!!

What I'd do is build a 302 with a bit more "umph" .., leave the 3 speed & change the diff's to 350's. (a 5sp. just means a whole lotta extra shift'n)  Tire size would prob. have to be no bigger than 31's.  All this could be done by an owner. (Hi-power engines, like a 351 & a 5sp. or OD automatic req. a lot of mods & $$$.)

AND.., long road trips req. every safty component to be in "TOP" shape. Brakes, steering, suspension, etc.

Having said that, at the end of the day, I have to be honest. I wouldn't set up an EB with hi-speed road trips in mind. These rigs aren't really designed/built for that. I'd make a good look'n trail rig, & run the road trips in a (take your pick) car or truck.

It's you rig..., your choice.,

Good luck,

B

Last edited by a moderator:

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Bowker88,

Welcome.

I would go with a good old 302 or 351...lots of cheep parts for them and you can make them very reliable if you also pay attention to the ancillary parts. ( rad,  ignition, etc.)

I have taken The Beast on a few long trips, ( When I had to carry extra people and/or stuff.) and she's comfortable, (I added soundproofing, carpet pad, interior amenities, etc.).

The gas mileage falls over 2K RPM,( that's about 70mph with my AOD in my 96)   Your set up would probably result in higher rpms at highway speed, and some disappointing gas mileage.   

As Bully said "It's your rig.".....but it's better suited to climbing in the Ga. mountains, than running the highways.

Good Luck whatever you choose....and let us know how you progress. The information can be useful for others.  

OP
OP
bowker88

bowker88

Reaction score
Really appreciate the feedback gents.  I should have clarified that the road trip would be once a year, most likely to the FL panhandle (30A or PC Beach).  For the rest of the time it is a cruising-around-town vehicle, hence the desire to have a beefy engine that I can show off!

I'll keep posting pics along the way.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
KEWL..!!

In that case, I'd build a clean, stock driveline, trail rig (sim. to the one in the upper left in your profile. BTW whats wrong with that one..?) with a fresh 302 and chrome or alum. valve covers. You know, dress it up.  And of course headers & dual exhaust. A fake hood scoop & a cool paint job. That should show it off in spades..!! :D/

However, re-viewing that pic.., you'll have a couple thou to invest just gett'n that rig legal, safe, & roadworthy.

Post more pics incl. dash & under carriage.  And please do post pics of progress. >:D< <'> 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo