electric fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Bronco58

Reaction score
wiriing up an electric fan today, i bought the switch that probes into the radiator fins and turns the fan on and off whereveer u set it at, anyone ever done this?, i hooked one up already witha relay and all that good stuff, but it was ona switch, this one is going to be automatic, also i just got a 140 amp alternator, hopefully when the fan kicks on it wont draw my battery down now

OP
OP
89Bronco58

89Bronco58

Reaction score
yea it works great, but it says its adjustable from 160-235, and once its on, it stays on the whole time im driving, i have it turned all the way to 235 and it still stays on, crappy fan control maybe?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Definitely something wrong. Mine runs less than 1% of the time the engine is running. Having said that, how it runs depends on how it is controlled. If you look at the diagram at my supermotors site you will see how mine is set up. The initial adjustment of the controller was done the first time I started the engine after installing it. If I remember right, the instructions said to set it to come on right after the tstat opened up for the first time. I did that, which was about 195 degrees, and haven't had to touch it since, (over 2 years now). The fan only comes on when It's setting at a traffic light, or on real hot days in the summer, when I'm below 35 MPH, granted I have a real good cooling system, (oversize radiator, transmission oil cooler, clean water system, Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan (4200 CFM), etc.).

Perhaps this will help you:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/02...icfan/index.php http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/10...tor/index.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
89Bronco58

89Bronco58

Reaction score
yea i have a high performance waterpump, big rad, and its clean as possible, plus the motor is new so i know thats clean inside, it has been better lately since i adjusted it, it may have just been on because :unsure: it was so hot these past few days, i really want to hook up a second fan tho :unsure:

Seabronc

Reaction score
What fan did you install, most of the aftermarket electric fans do not pull enough air, there are lots of complaints about cooling with them. That is why I went with the Lincoln Mark VIII fan. You shouldn't need a second fan if the one you got is good enough. If you are running the fan all the time, you loose the advantage of having an electric fan and might as well go back to a mechanical one. I have an indicator, (see my superford pictures of the installation), that lets me know when the fan is running or at least power is supplied to it plus a control switch that allows me to force it on or turn it off, (minor change to the diagram in the Ford Muscle magazine article).

:)>-

OP
OP
89Bronco58

89Bronco58

Reaction score
The fan I am running is out of a ford taurus i believe, i pulled 2 fans froma junkyard 5 years ago and this is what i ahve left and i know one fan was def out of a taurus. I adjusted the fan control and it goes off now when im driving. It DEF pulls enough air because i was wheeling all day saturday and doing about 5-10 mph thru the trails and had alot of sitting and idling in park and it never went above the o in normal on the stock guage and even tho i was hitting it to the floor thru some holes and such, i heard it kick on and off as i was sitting there so i know that once it comes on and cools the truck down it does kick off afterwards, i would still like to have dual fans tho, same side, just smaller

OP
OP
89Bronco58

89Bronco58

Reaction score
also heres how i have my fan hooked up, tell me what you think, ground for the fan control and fan go right to the battery, 12 power from the bat to fan control, yellow (ignition wire) from fuse panel with switch to fan control to turn the control on and off with ignition, orange wire with 25 amp fuse going to power of fan, probe in radiator just to the side and about even with top rad hose (inlet hose) im a little unsire about running a wire from the fusebox as the ignition source for the fan control, it works, but im sure theres a better way i just didnt know where to tie it in at, so give me your input on how im wired up and tell me what you think

Seabronc

Reaction score
I think your fuse might be in the wrong place. This diagram is how I have it hooked up plus I added the ability to force On, force OFF, or run with the control. http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/402968/...e/schematic.gif

If you use 2 fans, you probably should have the second one cut in only if you get above a temperature that is higher than the cut in temp of the first one. That would take 2 controls.

OP
OP
89Bronco58

89Bronco58

Reaction score
well ym fuse came pre set in the power line from the control to the fan, nice little thing built right in, so id have to cut it off to remove it or move it, i think thats a good place for it, but the second power wire doesnt even have a fuse, i thought that was weird, i dont use it anyway tho so i didnt care much, but the only siff im seeing between mine and yours is that you have a fuseable link between the battery and the control box, as where i have a fuse in my fans main power wire but i hooked it up how it said so im not sure but im thinking mines okay, im def liking the idea of the extra relay and being able to have a force on with a switch because id love to be able to put JUST the fan on between runs in the woods to cool it down a bit, i already have a relay that came built into my fan control, do you? Also where do you have your ignition wire ties into? i use the fusebox but i hate doing that, i feel its just "rigging" it to work

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
I'm trying to answer you in the blind since I don't have a diagram to look at nor have you mentioned who made the control or what manufacturer the fan is made by or the CFM rating. If it was prewired that way then leave it. I was only commenting based on your description, probably misunderstood what you were saying. Post a picture of the control and the circuit diagram and I might actually be able to be helpful.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo