dropping trans pan and fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Bronco58

Reaction score
hey guys i am going wheeling this weekend and i havent changed the fluid in my trans since i got my truck, it was changed when i forst bought it by me but i havent changed it since i should say, when i changed it, the truck had 137k on it, i used a good filter kit and mobil 1 fully synthetic trans fluid, the truck has 191k on it now, so lets say over 50k sincce its last change of trans fluid, it shifts perfect, doesnt slip, works like new. My 2 questions are, how many quarts would i need to buy once i dop the pan and replacce the filter, and how many does the converter hold, I have an AOD tranny btw. Also i have heard that once a trans has so many miles on it, if u chasnge the fluid, it will start to slip and i do not want that happening, the fluid on the stick looks pretty good still, a little dirty, but hey its old so thats fine, just wanted you guys's input since im not sure about how many quarts i need and since the trans works perfectly with no problems or leaks or anything, and even having 191k on it, if changing the fluid is a good idea, thanks guys

Broncobully

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
You can change the fluid and filter for no other reason than to inspect thte pan for any metal filings or debris. Mostr auto's hold about 15-17 quarts of fluid, but you'll only need 5-6 to replace what you take out with the pan. The rest is in the system-TC, lines, cooler, etc. If you neglect the tranny and never change the fluid or flush the system at a shop, a complete flush could conceiveably free up some debris in the system, causing problems. But nearly 200K miles on the AOD is a hella lot.

Justshootme84

Reaction score
No, it's O.K. to change the fluid and filter, since you've got about 60K miles since the last time and you're not doing a complete flush. I try to change mine every 50-60K, too.

OP
OP
89Bronco58

89Bronco58

Reaction score
i also planned to drain the torque converter too, but thats it, idk if you would consider that a complete flush

Justshootme84

Reaction score
No, you need a special machine to completely flush everything. Like what a tranny shop or garage uses, and that ususally runs $100 or more. While you're at it, might change the ATF fluid in the t-case, too.

OP
OP
89Bronco58

89Bronco58

Reaction score
i just put a new transfer case on it a few months back and with that came new fluid :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but yea im just gonna go ahead and drain what i can just for the sake of doing it, thanks for your input

bidibronco

Reaction score
I've been told by every trans shop I've been to that they wont do a flush on my Bronco since the tranny has so many miles on it, something about the chemical isn't good for it or something? Also, how do you get the fluid out of the torque converter too? One more question, ATF goes in the t-case?

OP
OP
89Bronco58

89Bronco58

Reaction score
theres a small pipe plug on the side of the converter, just take that out and it will drain out, and yes most transfer cases will accept atf in them, 1356, 208, and im not sure about np 205's i ran gear oil in my 205 on ym 79

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Right, the older NP205 gear-driven t-case uses gear oil, but the newer NP208 and Borg-Warner cases use auto transmission fluid, To drain the torque converter, remove the access plate at the bottom of the bellhousing, and rotate the engine until the drain plug is visible at the bottom. The TC only holds 1-2 quarts of fluid at most.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo