diesel motor swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90windsor

Reaction score
Say my 1990 bronco was a f-250, and i wanted a diesel. what motor would it have been? a 6.9 IDI diesel? or a 7.3? turbo? non-turbo? what were the options you could have had?

basically what motor would (somewhat) easily swap in and go with the truck. ive seen diesel broncos before, but theyre all 92-96 (when everthing was powerstroke, or an eb with a 4bt cummins or something of the sort) i have yet to see a 87-91 with the correct diesel in it.

my friend used to have a 89 f-350 with a diesel in it with a banks turbo kit on it, i dont know anything about the motor except that it was an idi.

just wondering if anyone knows

thanks guys

p.s, also what about a f-250 460 swap? hard?

Krafty

Reaction score
460 swaps are fairly straight forward for the most part. is the 460 carbed or injected?

50joe

Reaction score
Not positive, but pretty sure the Ford diesel for that year was a non-turbo 7.3 IDI. Not the most powerful, but pretty durable. And I'm sure there are mods out there to juice it up a bit. First tow truck I ran was a 86 F-350 with a 6.9. Not very quick, but ran like a bear. (Truck frame let go before the motor did)

OP
OP
90windsor

90windsor

Reaction score
460 swaps are fairly straight forward for the most part. is the 460 carbed or injected?
itd have to be injected. i want to keep my e40d. what would have to be changed with pcm's and trans stuff?

OP
OP
90windsor

90windsor

Reaction score
Not positive, but pretty sure the Ford diesel for that year was a non-turbo 7.3 IDI. Not the most powerful, but pretty durable. And I'm sure there are mods out there to juice it up a bit. First tow truck I ran was a 86 F-350 with a 6.9. Not very quick, but ran like a bear. (Truck frame let go before the motor did)
how hard would it be to swap in a 7.3 idi? would it be fairly the same mounts, space req, wiring harness etc?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
how hard would it be to swap in a 7.3 idi? would it be fairly the same mounts, space req, wiring harness etc?
I have a few 7.3 swap Links into Broncos in my web site under Engine, Diesel

as well as the Ford 7.3L (DI Turbo) Diagnostics Guide for a few model years (MY)

Last edited by a moderator:

Miss Kitten

Reaction score
if you are swaping in a diesel engine or the 460 you will have to change out your tranny. both of those engines have a different bell housing then what is currently in your truck, thus making your current E4OD unable to bolt up to the bigger engine

scparrish

Reaction score
the 7.3 non turbo would have been the motor but the 7.3 with a turbo is by far the better way to go it would be pretty much the same work as far as the swap goes its just kind of silly to put something that is inferior in if your going through that much work IMO

181livefast181

Reaction score
A 6bt cummins is an interesting swap. also its easy to get the power out of the 12 valves with a little work on the fuel pump, not that you would need to do anything. If you look at fordcummins.com they sell motor mounts and bell housings for the swap. you would have to see if they have one that would bolt up to your trans. obviously you will have to put 3/4 ton or 1 ton equipment on the front end since the engine dressed out would b about 1000 lbs. look at "American Thunder's" posts, he is putting one in a 78 bronco. also their is a lot of info on swapping 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton parts from the knuckles out on this site

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo