Coyote Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surf cop

Reaction score
I’ve had my 96 since 96. I recently fixed up everything but the drive train. So my choices are:
1. Rebuild the current motor (which isn’t the original). I apologize for being mechanically illiterate, but there is a pretty well known motor guy who will bore it out to a 422 and give it a lot more power and torque.
2. Diesel swap with the small Dodge motor
3. Coyote swap. Obviously the most expensive.

I really don’t use it for off roading other than some dirt roads. I tow occasionally, but nothing very heavy. I basically use it as my weekend diver and for road trips. I’ve already put too much money into it to ever sell it, so I’m getting buried in this truck.

Any ideas or feedback would be appreciated.A80761DB-659E-45BE-A42D-1F5FAF9C9823.jpeg

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I’ve had my 96 since 96. I recently fixed up everything but the drive train. So my choices are:
1. Rebuild the current motor (which isn’t the original). I apologize for being mechanically illiterate, but there is a pretty well known motor guy who will bore it out to a 422 and give it a lot more power and torque.

I really don’t use it for off roading other than some dirt roads. I tow occasionally, but nothing very heavy. I basically use it as my weekend diver and for road trips. I’ve already put too much money into it to ever sell it, so I’m getting buried in this truck.

Any ideas or feedback would be appreciated.

First of all, awesome first post, second, your bronco looks awesome and third, I'd go the number 2 or the number 3 route. If you are not towing much, then go with the Coyote swap.

Either way, if you do any of the above, please create a build thread here so we can all follow it, with plenty of pictures!!

Last edited:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Surf cop,
Welcome and congrats on acquiring the best year Big Bronco known to man and woman kind!! It does look vg.
I would do #1 and empathise on torque.

ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed. If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 71
... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
To confirm current status, use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than the 94-96 recall.

Here's the 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual partial

96 Bronco Owner's Guide, Maintenance Schedules & Parts and Accessories by Ford @ Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

96 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1996 Ford Bronco Technical Info pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net ... scroll down

96 Bronco Quick Tips Brochure Excerpts & some Eddie Bauer options @ 1983 Ford Bronco 96 EB Bronco Brochures pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
Be well!
Al

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
That truck looks show ready.

You are in a warm climate, the traffic where you are, I gotta say not sure the diesel would be the most fun choice. I usually lean that way for the fuel mileage and it seems like a diesel can sit for years and you hop in and it is ready to go.

But lots of stop and go traffic, noise of the engine with the windows down. I would probably lean towards building the 5.8 up. I had a 96 I wanted to supercharge. More power than I could have ever needed. Just a fun toy without the expense of the Coyote.
The Coyote is a great conversation piece but I am not sure you could tell the difference between the 422 and the coyote daily driving.
next concern would be, will the trans hold it? Or are you going through that as well?

paul rondelli

Reaction score
I was just reading through a thread on another site where the guy slapped a 427 Cobra jet into a 1993 Bronco. To each their own. If it where me I would put a nice shinny big block under the hood …. but gas mileage is going to ****.

I would go the route of more …. and only do this once. You can get a stroker kit and made the small block mean as **** … but you are at the limit of how far you can push it. Get a 400 or 460 big block and a nasty ZF manual tranny. You can get the same torque an HP numbers as the stroker and have plenty of room left to play...… or replace the axels/ drive shaft/ ujoints after you destroy them.

I don't think there is a wrong answer … unless you mention LS swap

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I was just reading through a thread on another site where the guy slapped a 427 Cobra jet into a 1993 Bronco. To each their own. If it where me I would put a nice shinny big block under the hood …. but gas mileage is going to ****.

I would go the route of more …. and only do this once. You can get a stroker kit and made the small block mean as **** … but you are at the limit of how far you can push it. Get a 400 or 460 big block and a nasty ZF manual tranny. You can get the same torque an HP numbers as the stroker and have plenty of room left to play...… or replace the axels/ drive shaft/ ujoints after you destroy them.

I don't think there is a wrong answer … unless you mention LS swap
Ha ha..LS swap not an option then. :)

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
You know this discussion brings up a good point that I recently went through.

I built a SBC for a car, wanted to build a 400 hp carb engine on smog heads, which in case you didn't know is a lost art and most say it can't be done.
Anyway, my point, after I get all done and putting it in the car I realize that when I die my kids will have absolutely no idea on how to work on this thing. As much as I try to teach them, they cannot comprehend or service a rochester on our boat.

Looking back I should have done an LS swap, but then maybe I have a few builds left in me.

So that may be a consideration if you want fuel injection or not. If you plan on keeping it forever, whoever you leave it to are they going to be able to fix it and enjoy it or will it just sit and rot away.

OP
OP
Surf cop

Surf cop

Reaction score
First of all, awesome first post, second, your bronco looks awesome and third, I'd go the number 2 or the number 3 route. If you are not towing much, then go with the Coyote swap.

Either way, if you do any of the above, please create a build thread here so we can all follow it, with plenty of pictures!!
Thanks. I found a place in Az that will be coming out with a kit for the Coyote. It’s not available just yet. (Fat Fender). Once I see what the price is, I’ll decide for sure and post an update.

OP
OP
Surf cop

Surf cop

Reaction score
Yo Surf cop,
Welcome and congrats on acquiring the best year Big Bronco known to man and woman kind!! It does look vg.
I would do #1 and empathise on torque.

ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed. If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 71
... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
To confirm current status, use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than the 94-96 recall.

Here's the 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual partial

96 Bronco Owner's Guide, Maintenance Schedules & Parts and Accessories by Ford @ Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

96 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1996 Ford Bronco Technical Info pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net ... scroll down

96 Bronco Quick Tips Brochure Excerpts & some Eddie Bauer options @ 1983 Ford Bronco 96 EB Bronco Brochures pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
Be well!
Al
Thanks. I had the recall done years ago.

OP
OP
Surf cop

Surf cop

Reaction score
And the guy who is going to build the engine emphasized torque. JMG Performance. He builds stuff for people all over the country.

johnnyreb

Reaction score

Any ideas or feedback would be appreciated.View attachment 22070
The only thing I see what I would do is extend the front bumper out about a foot. When your working on it . It would be easier. Add a couple of fire extinguishers. Put a camera under the hood and the screen inside to keep a eye on it. In case of a fire under the hood. It could come in handy and maybe save your life. You have a sharp looking ride their

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke