Conversion from EFI to Carb on 1989 351W

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stitchistim

Reaction score
I have a 1989 XLT with a 351W EFI installed. I am looking at converting to Carburator so I can get rid of the computer controlled EFI. If anyone has done this I would appreciate any insight on 1.) can it be done 2.) What problems can I anticipate 3.) Approximate cost. Is it chaeper to convert the engine I have or go with a different engine.

Bronco Kid!

Reaction score
hey hey i just completed the swap on my 88 bronco with a 302, actually the swap is pretty straight forward so here goes. first things first you will need to get an intake and a carborator for you 351 also you will need to get a new distributor i went with an HEI from summit with mechanical and vacume advance. then you have that massive wiring nightmare, well you only need TWO wires out of that mess to make the carborated engine run.. (you will need a total of 4 wires if you intend on using stock oil pressure and coolant temp gauges) i went with mechanical gauges they are very easy to install.. also you will need to go down to your local parts store and buy a generic inline fuel pump to replace your stock one (this is nessasary because your stock fuel pump puts out to much psi you only need about 6 psi for the carb). dont wory about the intake pump its fine and does not interfere with fuel. that should get you started if you have more questions let me know.. hope this helps

)

tiller83

Reaction score
mabe to late but I am looking for the opposite swap.I have an msd 6al and billet dist.with mech.advance,eddlbrock performer 351 intake and holley 670 avenger carb.I do know that you don't have to change out the dist.if it's working.the computer ign.will run without the inj.system but you have to leave the sensors not associated with the efi intake conected. You may have a problem with the trans.linkage that will require an afremarket kit to match your trans. Also you should check with local inspection station to see if it's alowed because your check engine light will stay on and some states don't alow those modifications on street vehicles.(caution)aftermarket carburetors require manual tuning for changes in weather,altitude and many other conditions that the efi system did automaticaly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo