Carb Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90windsor

Reaction score
hi, i have a 1990 bronco with a 5.8 FI and the E40D trans.

i am putting a new exhaust on and will be adding long tube headers. i know an intake and carb will fit on it instead of the fuel injection, but i was wondering if it would be a plug-and-play type installation: throw the intake and carb on there, attach fuel lines, coolant lines, throttle cable and other lines

would the E40D trans still work?

what else would need to be done?

how much work?

i am considering this b/c i want to put a cam with a very noticable idle lope on it in my motor and cannot do so with the FI because they only make cams for the "92 and up 5.8's because they have mass air and my motor doesnt so a cam will not work. unless they make a mass air conversion? or a cam that will work with mine? i can only find RV cams and very mild cams which is not what i want.

thanks for your help

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
The E40D tranny gets input from the ECM, so you will have problems swapping to a carb. www.fordfuelinjection.com used to have some good info on what ECM to swap in, but you may have to swap to a C6, JSM84

cetmed

Reaction score
Not just the ECM for the trans is only prob adapting the fuel lines and if your using the in tank pump you'll need a fuel pressure regulator

I'm in the process of doing the same thing but I went with an AOD Trans because I'm putting the truck together for my dad to use or else id use a C6 Besides I needed to rewire It any way

cetmed

Reaction score
Hey 90Windsor

Have you thought about converting to MAS air?

Not sure whats involved but thought Id through it out there.

OP
OP
90windsor

90windsor

Reaction score
The E40D tranny gets input from the ECM, so you will have problems swapping to a carb. www.fordfuelinjection.com used to have some good info on what ECM to swap in, but you may have to swap to a C6, JSM84
so do you think it wont go into gear at all? or it just wont know when to shift, so id have to do it manually (and it'd prob. never go into overdrive)

but, i dont have money for a new trans and all new carb stuff plus cams. just fixed the trans i have now :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> let me know what you think

Not just the ECM for the trans is only prob adapting the fuel lines and if your using the in tank pump you'll need a fuel pressure regulatorI'm in the process of doing the same thing but I went with an AOD Trans because I'm putting the truck together for my dad to use or else id use a C6 Besides I needed to rewire It any way
whats wrong with the fuel lines?

Hey 90WindsorHave you thought about converting to MAS air?

Not sure whats involved but thought Id through it out there.
do you know of a mass air conversion kit? is it possible?

would i need new ecm?

Last edited by a moderator:

cetmed

Reaction score
I read about one a little while ago some one makes them cant remember who and yes it comes with a new ecm

Ive also herd of people getting a used harness and doing it not 100% sure whats involved

Ill look it up online and post a link if i can find it

OP
OP
90windsor

90windsor

Reaction score
I read about one a little while ago some one makes them cant remember who and yes it comes with a new ecm Ive also herd of people getting a used harness and doing it not 100% sure whats involved

Ill look it up online and post a link if i can find it
ok thanks alot let me know if you find it

cetmed

Reaction score
Hers 3 article I could find not sure what you have in mind price wise

If I did not need to rewire my entire Bronco I was going to do the MAF with a sweet stoker Engine With the power dyne supercharger but my planes had to change that was a couple of years ago but oh well

you should do a search on here there are people on here that know way more than me

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/10...rsion/index.php

http://www.bcbroncos.com/Fuel%20system%20EFI%20.html

http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=26

Yardape

Reaction score
In my research for my 460 swap into my 89 Bronco I discovered that the efi fuel lines and pumps will not support the amount of fuel needed for a carb. Efi is designed to be high pressure low volume and the carb setup run high volume low pressure. So I ordered a complete fuel line kit from Summit racing. Comes with everything needed. Fuel line, pump, filter, regulator and all the fittings and clamps. Jegs also has similar kits.

Last edited by a moderator:

cetmed

Reaction score
never herd of that the size of the fuel lines some people have just put on a regulator on the fire wall not sure if they changed the lines or not

there are some people here on the forum who have done the swap cant remember any names tho I'M one but not done yet

I'm going to but that's because I'M going with an external pump

so I guess its what ever you want to do 90windsor good luck with your truck

BLADE262US

Reaction score
The E4OD will not move if you take power away from it . It will act like the tranny is slipping really bad . If you manually put it in 1st or 2nd gear it will move full line pressure kinda a limp mode to get ya home in the event of solemoid failure . I have personally tested this out . The company that makes a stand alone controller for the E4OD is here http://www.baumannengineering.com/ It is a pretty cool unit and when I bought mine it was around $400

My opinion keep the EFI :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

cetmed

Reaction score
The E4OD will not move if you take power away from it . It will act like the tranny is slipping really bad . If you manually put it in 1st or 2nd gear it will move full line pressure kinda a limp mode to get ya home in the event of solemoid failure . I have personally tested this out . My opinion keep the EFI :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Same thing if the wrong ECU is installed before it blows the valve body apart This I know

Thanks advanced auto parts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke