Canuck with his First Bronco.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Ben

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Well, since I'm now the proud owner of a 1980 Bronco XLT I figured I'd sign up here to soak up as much info on my new purchase as possible. I don't know much for the time being since this is actually my First vehicle. Have wanted a Bronco for years since I saw "American Pie" with the guys cruising in the back with the top down. Managed to find one in what I consider to be great shape considering the truck is 2 years older than I am.

I'm the 3rd owner of this truck and the previous owner has had it since 1987. He's apparently taken quite good care of it since it's never been in an accident, never been taken into any harsh off roading (the skid plate underneath doesn't have any big scratches or gouges in it or anything) and still has many of the factory original parts (bumpers, fog lights, engine, transmission) From what i've seen there isn't much on the truck that has been replaced and you can tell by the 27 years of wear and tear although the carpetting looks brand new.. as does the back seat.

Truck has about 250,000 kilometers on it (you guys can do the math to convert that into miles) which is actually less than my dad has on his 2000 Ford explorer.

Frame is solid and has a good 1/4 inch of oil undercoating covering the whole thing which looks to have managed to protect it from harsh canadian winters and all that salt. The body itself seems to have come through with very little rust and it's all surface rust too so nothing has rusted through that I can see but it DEFINITELY needs a new paint job to bring back some life.

I'm looking to restore it and make it look a bit meaner by doing some work to it.. probably by installing a lift kit, giving it new paint (i'm pretty sure it has the factory original maroon paint job on it although badly faded) fixing up the cracked dash and redoing the interior since the panels are scratched up ( I think one of the previous owners had a dog that he must have put in the truck alot).

Don't have any pictures yet but I will post some soon. Not sure what else I need to say but if there's any questions i'll consult the owners manual (the original is STILL in the center console, and though the cover is faded it seems to be almost untouched.)

Cheers,

Ben

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Outstanding, glad to have someone who knows the history of his truck (a lot of guys don't) and to be honest I like to see the first-year models represented. I had several 78/79's and an 82' but never scored an 80'. Don't be shy about asking questions or espressing an opinion, we like to HEAR from everyone. This is a great group of guys so please join in.

OP
OP
B

Big Ben

Reaction score
Ok so I just ran out and snapped a few shots of the truck. Sadly it's pretty dark out though so most of them won't be to pretty but maybe it'll help me identify a few things I'm unsure of, like the engine and all that fun stuff. I know it's the V8 and I THINK it's the 5L but I'm not 100%.

Probably should have mentioned that it's automatic transmission (hey, I think it's in awesome condition considering it's age so i'm not gonna get all picky on the transmission. You know what they say anyway, you can't have your cake and eat it too.)

So considering this is my FIRST vehicle I really wanna get to know her well and treat her good. The more you guys can help me out with that the better. I have a few mechanic friends but I'd like to not embarass myself talking to them about things I know nothing about.

Be warned though, the pics are really dark because well, it's night here and I probably won't have any time for daytime pics until mid week this week.

So anyway, without further delay, here's my baby. :)

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

Members online

No members online now.