Bronco has been sitting for years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

icanhangout

Reaction score
I am about to buy a 79 Bronco that has been sitting in a garage without being started for 8 years. The overall vehicle condition is great, but I know there are probably a few things I should do before I even think about doing any work on it. What sort of things should I do immediately (replace gas, oil up parts?) to avoid causing damage when I first start her up, and what is generally just a good idea to replace or check before I go to drive it anywhere?

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
First thing i do is check if the engine is froze up from sitting for a long time. the piston rings will rust to the cylinder walls, and you'll do alot of damage if you use the starter. It's easier to turn the engine by hand using a breakover on the crank pulley if you pull out the spark plugs. IF it doesn't rotate easily, the rings are rusted up. Pour a little oil in each cylinder and let it sit for a couple days. Keep doing that until the engine will turn easily. Drain the oil and change the filter. Look inside the carb for any blockage, like a rat nest or mud daubers. check the battery cables, too. Since the gas has been sitting s olong, it is no good. IF you can't drop the tank right away, remvoe the fuel line at the carb, and use an alternate tank with fresh gas. You can also just use WD-40 to check if the engine will start by spraying a little inside the carb and trying the starter. If you don't have fire, pull a plug, put it back into it's wire, and ground it to the block. Watch for spark while cranking. It's likely the coil, wires and/or dizzy are bad from sitting so long. Those should be changed anyway, but you ca ndo the tune-up after you see if the engine will run. No sense doing that if you have to tear it down.

gloryforixseal

Reaction score
I gave up and took it to a shop... HE claimed a bad cat converter so I installed a new one..during the replace the shop noted that there were two cat on this Bronco which is normal and that the rear cat converter is the one to replace.. so I did that.

also installed new plugs. but the old plugs were almost in perfect condition.

didnt bother with the wires as they look almost brand new same with the dist. cap.

now the NOx is worst... at 25MPH NOx is 1340?????????? and 1000 at 15MPH

everything else is well under all normal cars...

the guy at the shop now says bad gas due to it sitting for a year.. says to run a tank of gas or more through it... I have poured some fuel injector cleaner in the tank.. although I dont like that type of fix...

I am running it down to Bakersfield this weekend about 200 miles just to clean it out...

thanks for any help or ideas

Red Green Jr

Reaction score
seafoam is a great cure-all, pour a can in the gas tanks, and it will clean out the entire fuel system. you can even add some to the oil and transmission to clean all moving parts

Johnny Reb

Reaction score
Well after you get it running good. I would also completely re-do the brake system, replace all belts,rubber hoses(vacuum ,water,gas) wiper blades,check the lights to see their are all working properly ---because a 200 mile trip is a bit risky if you don,t.You may also want to check BEHIND the tires for cracks in the tires. If they are present(more then likely they are. They should also be replaced. I know its alot of hassle and money--but its your life and someone,s else you are risking in case something bad should happen.And they do happen. Good luck.

chromewarrior555

Reaction score
How does the fuel look? Mine was setting for about 3 years. and when I got it home I dropped the gas tank, it had varnish in it. Lots of it.

coolio2281

Reaction score
let me tell u guys from first hand experience, my 93 bronco sat from 2000 to 2009 in a storage unit in Angola, Indiana, so it endured cold, warm etc. i had all new brakes, all new suspension, all new fuel lines, injections, pumps, seals, everything and iam just now getting to the body work and its been a yr 1/2 since i pulled it outa storage and over $8500.00 later. when it was first pulled outa storage the fuel was so gummed up it was like jello, the brakes were seized but luckily the engine was fine and iam still running it as an everyday vehicle since. the second u have a vehicle sit for so long think twice about it. i knew it would be an investment but not that much, if i could take it back the only reason i wouldnt is because of the sentimental value, other than that, i wouldave scrapped it an bought another bronco.

andre

Reaction score
not all situation are the same storage and temp and time will vary

pesonaly i had engine standing for 4 year was 79 granada

trans oil in cyl let sit for 2 to 4 day like he say's manualy turn crank

gas tank drain it out new gas

remove and change all liquid trans coolant brake fluid ext

fan belt change and check all pully if in douth change them

check rad hose brake flex hose for oil or crack

the more you do before you start it up the beter the chance

all advice are good

a litle time can save you big problem