body lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elmo

Reaction score
YeeeHaaa finally got the body lift ordered from JBG and been seeing it sitting on the table for the last four days everytime i leave for work or going out for the typical ThanksGiving activities. Off work for the next three days one of which is ******* already, gotta finish enclosure for Nina, 14'albino burmese python. But tuesday is all mine for the truck. Goodluck to me i have red till my eyes bled to besure i could gleen all the OOPS and knowledge of the wonderful folks here in da zone. Also sneeked over to FSB and picked up some points on body bushings and the such. I aint much of a teacher so i aint promising no write up but i will try to take picks and post a few. I will forwarn yall I am from the country with a bit of big company fowling mixed in. My ways of getting things done aint always the best but they work for me. I have learned to and can sucessfully do just about anything without any significant help, the 7 and 10 year old dont really count as physical helpers.Altho they do alot it doesnt always qualify as help. lol God i love them for it tho. Anyway just wanted to thank yall in advance just incase the fingers aret able to type when i return to work wed night. 12 hour nightshifts is about the only time i get to come to da Zone. SEE YA SOON

Seabronc

Reaction score
Have fun :D/
cowboy.gif

Good luck,

peace.gif

OP
OP
Elmo

Elmo

Reaction score
Ok i finally got the body lift in place. surprisingly didnt have not one bolt that had to be cut. All the body bolts came out easily enough with a 1/2" impact wrench. First I removed both front seatsfolded the carpet back to reveal the covers for the body bolts. Loosened all the body bolts disconnected the transmission shifter and transfer case shifter removed the fan and shroud. Then went back and removed all the bolts on the right side and used a floor jack couple of 4x4 blocks and jacked up thr right side of the body inserted the blocks and bolts with a generous helping of antisieze ran the bolts down till finger tight and repeated the same procedure on the left side. Tightened all the bolts down. Next i decided to install the electric cooling fan and controler i bought last year. this turned out to be the longest part of the job, fabricating the frame to mount the fan on and replacing the temp sensor for the factory guage with the needed fittings to put in the temp sensors for the fan controller and the new mechanical temp guage, routed all the wires and capillary tube to their respected locations. sounds really quick and simple but it took me forever to get it finished. fan now comes on at about 170 according to the guage but it rarely gets there while moving. I am thinking about connecting a small l.e.d. it the fan wires and puting it in the dash so that i can tell when the fan is on, just to get a better idea of how often it really runs.I still have too adjust the controller a little higher, would like the fan to not come on till about 190. the fan i used is a 14" aftermarket unit rated at 2800 cfm hopefuly this is enough to keep it cool when the summer gets here. this fan is round and has no shroud at all, should i have to fabricate a shroud around the fan ? Right now it only pulls air through about 1/3 of the radiator. I contemplated fabing a sheetmetal shroud that would cover the whole radiator and mounting the fan to it. At this point it is doing good but the georgia summer will be its true test.

Seabronc

Reaction score
If you don't have a shroud. the fan will not pull the air across the radiator fins efficiently. That probably won't show up as a problem until you get into the hotter months and when the truck is not moving. I used a 4200 CFM Lincoln Mark VIII fan which comes with a shroud and only had to fabricate a mount made from aluminum L-bracket. 170 is definitely too low, 190 is a good place to set it, that is about where mine is set. In the Winter my fan only comes on if I set at idle for about 5 minutes. On the hottest days in the summer it will kick in when I'm running with slow traffic below Abbot 35 MPH. At first it made me nervous, but I soon got use to what the temperature gauge does when you have an electric fan. When the engine is first warming up the gauge will go a Little high before it kicks in and the drops to around the fan setting. Then it only comes on like I indicated above. If I'm setting with the engine running, like while in the driveway and I'm poking around in the engine compartment, it will cycle as necessary to keep the temperature down. The LED is a good idea, I have one hooked to the output of the relay that controls the fan. That tells me two things; 1. wen the fan should be running and 2. It is a good troubleshooting aid if the fan is failing to come on at all. In that case I can tell between the fan as the problem and the control.

Glad you had an easy time with the body bolts, mine were a PITA. I think I had to cut 3 or 4 of them.

Good luck,

peace.gif

Pictures of my setup. I used the base of a Radio Shack chassis kit to mount 1. a switch that allows me to force the fan on in case the control fails 2. a LED indicator that says the fan should be running. 3. the gauge does not have anything to do with the fan, it is a voltage meter to monitor the output of the alternator.

8 Fan Mounted.jpg

11 Fan control.jpg

UCandEng 011.jpg

9 A schematic.gif

Lincoln Mark VIII Fan.jpg

Fan Indicator and Overide Switch.jpg

OP
OP
Elmo

Elmo

Reaction score
I like the way it is looking now with the bodylift and 33x12.5 tiresafter bodylift and tires on.JPG

Here you can see the materials used to repair the seat mounting stud that had crackes in the sheetmetal around it and therefore fell out when the seat was removed. seat bolt repair1.JPGseat bolt repair2.JPG

I took a 3/8 nut and welded it in a 5/8 washer, then enlarged the hole where the stud had been just big enough for the nut to recess down to where the washer was flat on the floor and welded the washer to the floor polished it all clean and applied a generous helping of the spray on bedliner and called it good.

Thanks Seabronc this weekend I expect to adjust the fan controler and get started ot the shroud. I uesd a controler that looks alot like the one you used. I chose one with a ***** in temp probe, didnt feel too confident about the probe sticking in the radiator fins and the temp adjustment for the fan. I had thought about the lincoln fan but couldnt get to a yard so i just bought one online. I have had the fan for about a year and half, I think I read your write-up and scoured meisk5 site a dozen times before i bought the controller and jumped in and did it. The led idea came from your setup as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke