Best lift and tires for a 85

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesterbean3

Reaction score
Hi guys, ive got a completely stock 85 bronco and i want to lift it and put tires on it

i dont want it super high but just so it looks good

im thinking a three inch lift with 33x12.50 tires, are these good proportions? let me know what you think is best

if you know what the lift and tires are on the one in the picture please let me know cause thats what i want it to look like

thanks

sweet_bronco.jpg

Broncobill78

Reaction score
hard to tell for sure but it *looks* to me like a 6" lift w/33's.

Suspension lifts usually come in 2", 4", 6" & 9" (does Superlift still sell a 12" ?) and body lifts are generally 3"

The "standard" lift for 33's is usually either a 4" suspension or the 3" body but you can't tell from the photo if the lift is all suspension or a combination of something like a 4" suspension w/a 3" body, but those might be 35's w/6" suspension & 3" body but it doesn't look that tall to me

The body lifts are cheaper to buy up front but a pain in the ass to install (you have to ***** around with the shift, steering, throttle & transmission kickdown linkages, fuel filler neck, fan shroud, etc) and after doing all that you haven't gained any additional suspension travel at all. A suspension lift is more expensive but they're pretty straightforward as far as installation goes and you'll gain suspension travel and improve the ride (replacing 25yr old springs & bushings usually helps with ride quality :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) assuming you go with a new rear spring pack instead of blocks. Rear blocks are cheap but you run into complications with the U-bolts wanting to loosen up (due to the lever effect the blocks create) and it's not uncommon for 20+ yr old leafs to break when used hard off-road. If you go with the suspension lift don't half-ass it and just slap in coils and lift blocks, make sure you get all the "optional" stuff like pivot-point lowering brackets, dropped pitman arm, poly bushings, etc

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
The pic looks like 33's and a 3" body lift. I can post a pic of my 84 Bronc with 35's and a 6" suspension lift:

thw0417.jpg

For 33's on your 80-86 bronco, the best lift option is a 4" suspension kit. you can fit 33's on there with no lift, as I 've done on the 86 Bronco:

86bronco11.jpg

you will have more suspension travel with the 4" kit, so the tires don't rub the fenders when offroad. If the body is in bad shape like mine, you can also just cut out the fender openings for more room. JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

jesterbean3

Reaction score
The pic looks like 33's and a 3" body lift. I can post a pic of my 84 Bronc with 35's and a 6" suspension lift:
thw0417.jpg

For 33's on your 80-86 bronco, the best lift option is a 4" suspension kit. you can fit 33's on there with no lift, as I 've done on the 86 Bronco:

86bronco11.jpg

you will have more suspension travel with the 4" kit, so the tires don't rub the fenders when offroad. If the body is in bad shape like mine, you can also just cut out the fender openings for more room. JSM84

thanks for the replies mates, the 35s with the 6'' lift looks good but ive got those twin I beam axle housings or whatever their called and i was wondering if i run into problems with that when i lift it, like uneven tire wear or leaned in tires?

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
There is a very good write-up on lifting the TTB (Twin Traction Beam) suspension in this sticky:

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11092

Both of those Broncos i showed in the pics have the factory TTB, and frontend alignment is critical whether you have a lift or not. A properly designed and installed lift kit will normally have all the parts needed to keep the geometry correct and allow for alignment. the tires leaning in or out is due to camber, which is an issue with both the 4" and 6" kits. Caster becomes more of an issue with the 6" kit and radius arm drop brackets, whereas the extended radius arms help out. the 84 Bronco had a Skyjacker Class II 6" kit with the extended arms in that pic, although it now hasa a dana60 straight axle conversion. JSM84

famousguy_fsas

THE BRONC
Reaction score
it hard to tell by that pic. i have 33 on my truck with no lift and they look small to me. but i would say for more options for you is not do a body lift. like they say cheaper but huge pain in the ass.to the 4 inch suspension lift. one cause suspension lidts are just better. and two cauase it looks good with 33s but if you ever want to look a little beefeir the 4 inch lift should fit the 35s as well. if you just do the 3 inch body lift then your stuck with 33s being the biggest you can fit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke