Best engine swap ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monza

Reaction score
Right then,

i am thinking of dropping the 351 in favor of something more aggressive round town.

prefer carb to efi

manual trans - probly drop the low box.

would rather go smaller than larger

prefer easy swap - nothing exotic.

dont need any low gear mud crawling stuff

i want this to rip on the street - i am sick of the US Mail van thrashing me at the lights...

i need some rocket power.

whats the best engine to go for ?

monza.

oh yeh

sensible budget... :blink:

S_bolt19

Reaction score
You can build a 289 or a 302 to eat a lot of vehicles. My first EB had a 289 in it that someone knew what they were doing when they built it. I could beat Camaros and 'Stangs with it AND spin 33" tires in 3rd gear. That particular engine should not have been in a Bronco, it should have been in a Mustang. Needless to say, I have no idea what it had or how it was built because I was 17 and horsing around and shelled the transmission, transfer case and front end in one fell swoop one afternoon. I had to get rid of it, but I wish I would have been smart enough to take that engine...oh, well, hindsight and years is always 20/20.

But, if you are looking for a weight factor, go with the 289/302/351w or m...they are all small block engines whereas the 351c is a big block and heavier. You can call Edlebrock or Holley and have them help you dial in what you want. I know a guy who built an engine based off of one of those mfg. companies specs and it was a sweet, fast ride. But, it depends on what you want and what you have available to dump into it. Mine is a pretty plane jane engine. Mild cam, roller rockers, nothing too exciting and it has EFI and it cost me $2200 to have it boiled out, and completely blue printed and rebuilt. So, if you want something a lot hotter, I wouldn't bat an eye at dropping $5-10k on a hot little number.

OP
OP
monza

monza

Reaction score
wow that sounds like the kind of lunacy i would like in my truck.

but i dont want to get to tightly wound.

i like the sound of how yr 302 is performing - but i need to go back to a 302 to start building revs and HP...

its a shame coz this 351 has been very nicely cared for.

i suppose i could go with a raft of perf boosting components - but that 351 is never gonna thrash as hard and fast as a 302...

based on the dicussion in this thread i kind of convinced myself the 302 is the way to go

i am stunned at how ineficient these engines appear to be... 20% of the fuel energy - thats archaic...

see this thread:

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11444

anyway

i guess i need to spend a bunch of time speccing a swap or upgrades to the 351...

mbe i should buy another rig with a 302 in it and tune one for thrashing and the other for wheelin ?

seems like not so many of us are tuning for speed.

monza.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke