Battery keeps Dying?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MileHighMadness

Reaction score
I've got a 1992 EB Bronco with a 351W. My old Battery slowly but surly died. I took the Alternator out and had it tested, Tested Good at Checkers. The Battery was shot so I purchased a new one and put it in. Everything seemed good for about a week. I noticed that the Battery guage on the dash started the same thing as before. Amps were good but the needle is almost all the way over to the dead side. Electric windows are going up and down at a crawl. Any idea what would cause this? Could it be the Alternator even if it tested O.K. I'm not the best mechanic but have fixed everything on my Bronco (Rear Window, Bearings, etc.) myself becuase of your knowledge and advice. Thanks!

wileec

Reaction score
have you checked your cables? If there is resistance there the battery will not charge.

Seabronc

Reaction score
The battery function is to start the vehicle not run the electrical systems. Once the engine starts it is the alternators function to top off the battery and handle the electrical loads. You can check to see if the alternator is putting out with a volt meter across the battery terminals. It should be around 13.5 volts, 12 volts or less means it is not charging. A discharged battery, under 12 volts, should be charged using a battery charger. It is too ******* your alternator to charge a discharged battery.

An alternative method of checking the alternator function is to disconnect the negative cable (-) on the battery while the engne is running and see if the vehicle will continue to run. If it shuts off, the alternator is not putting out.

Like Wileec said, bad grounds and connections can prevent the alternator from working. Check the condition of the battery ground cable and connections to the frame and engine block. Disconnect the cable, clean the contact points and check the condition of the cable where goes into the lug. If it is corroded at the connectors, replace the cable. Also check the ground cable from the back driver side of the intake manifold to the fire wall. That is the main ground for much of the electrical devices inside the cab.

Good luck,

peace.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

wileec

Reaction score
An alternative method of checking the alternator function is to disconnect the negative cable (-) on the battery while the engne is running and see if the vehicle will continue to run. If it shuts off, the alternator is not putting out.
I have heard that pulling the cable on newer vehicles can be a bad thing. Not sure, but I thought I would put it out there.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo, In + to what my pals here advised, this is by Ford

btw, Ford still refer to da Alternator as a generator

Loose or Weak Contact at Generator Harness Connector TSB 96-21-4 for 86-93 Bronco & F Series, etc.

Source: by Ford

ISSUE:

When a generator fails, there are a few failure modes that may cause heat to be produced at the wiring harness-to-generator connector. This excess heat may damage the female terminals on the wiring harness, resulting in increased resistance. The increased resistance produces more heat. When the generator is replaced, the resistance produced by a damaged connector may damage the new generator and could result in a repeat repair, including installation of another generator. High resistance (caused by a damaged connector) will not go away until the damaged connector is replaced.

ACTION:

Visually inspect the harness-to-generator connector for damage (heat, corrosion, distortion and cracking) before installing a new generator. Install the Generator Wiring Harness Connector Kit (E5AZ-14305-AA) if the harness-to-generator connector is damaged.

The Generator Wiring Harness Connector Kit (E5AZ-14305-AA) contains the following:

One (1) Red Wire Butt Connector

Two (2) Yellow Wire Butt Connectors

One (1) Wire Connector Assembly

One (1) Instruction Sheet (I.S. 6849)

PART NUMBER PART NAME

E5AZ-14305-AA Generator Wiring Harness Connector Kit

Publication Date: OCTOBER 7, 1996

FORD: 1985-1990 ******, TEMPO

1986 TAURUS

1986-1990 CROWN VICTORIA

1987-1992 THUNDERBIRD

1987-1993 MUSTANG

LINCOLN-MERCURY: 1985-1987 LYNX

1985-1990 TOPAZ

1986 SABLE

1986-1990 GRAND MARQUIS, TOWN CAR

1987-1992 COUGAR

LIGHT TRUCK: 1985-1990 BRONCO II

1985-1991 AEROSTAR

1986-1991 ECONOLINE

1986-1992 RANGER

1986-1993 BRONCO

1986-1994 F-150-350 SERIES

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
After checking all connections, and grounds, there is the possibility that the battery is getting discharged when the engine is not running. To check, disconnect the positive cable and connect a testlight between the positive cable and the positive battery post. If there is a draw the light will shine.

Then it is a problem of finding the draw. One possibility is the glove box lamp. To find the circuit the draw is on, remove fuses one at a time and observe the test light. When it goes out, the draw is in that circuit.

OP
OP
M

MileHighMadness

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone! Sorry it took me so long to get the results. I actually replaced the Alternator (even after it tested good at Auto Zone) & replaced the starter solenoid. Not sure which one it was but it's been great since. :)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke