AOD vs E4OD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shyguy

Reaction score
is the E4OD an automatic tranny, or manual? and will it fit a 302? if it's an auto, and will fit the 302, would it be a better tranny than a AOD which I have.

Am thinking about swapping if I can come across the E4OD somewhere around here. It would go into a '90 Custom Bronco.

Shy Guy

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
The E4OD is an automatic tranny with overdrive. The main difference from the AOD automatic overdrive tranny is that the E4OD shift points are controlled by the computer or ECM , while the AOD is not. It is controlled by shift linkage from the motor. The AOD has it's share of problems, but so did the earlier E4OD's up to about 95/96 when they were improved. And the E40D was offered on the 302 V8 from 1988 and up. IF your 90 had the AOD as the stock tranny, you may want to stick with that model. it may cost you $500 to rebuild the AOD, but the E40D can run $1500-$1700. Labor not included.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Hello there ia a cable on the AOD looks like the TV cable on a chevy tranny . Thats how the AOD shifts there is constant tension on this cable and it moves with the throttle linkage this is how the tranny shifts and it is very important that the cable is adjusted right . Justshootme84 is 100% correct on the E4OD I think they started using them in 90/91 that was the crossover year from tha AOD.My 89 had an AOD and my 91 had an E4OD :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22