AOD to E4OD transmission swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncophil1990

Reaction score
I have a 1990 Bronco 5.0L XLT and just recently swapped an AOD to an E4OD transmission. It was a pain in the ass trying to find the shift linkage, getting the driveshafts re-tubed, getting the extension housing for the transfer case, a rebuilt transfer case, running new transmission lines, finding the crossmember to support the tranny, and purchasing the computer (US shift/Baumann electronics). After several months; I have installed all essential parts to get it up and running. I am experiencing a problem starting the Bronco; I am able to jump the starter solenoid to start it up (it runs great! Shifts into all gears and handles well at 70mph) I'm having trouble trying to figure out where the wires to the neutral safety switch go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Phil,

Fantastic!  You are among the first if not the only person to make the swap!

Manual Lever Position/Transmission Range (MLP/TR) Sensor Wiring Diagram in a 91;

bronco_1991_30-2.gif

Note; Ford made an change in the replacement MLPS in the 90s, that resulted in need to re-pin the connectir:

Connector Re-Pining; "...according to the connector instruction sheet that came with the new connector. wires positions by circuit # are exactly the same from old to new. there is no mention of wire color. the wires are designated by circuit # so basically one at a time take each wire out.... and put it in the same place it came out of on the new connector..." 

Source: by thePUNISHER (Paul) 

Connector Re-Pining in a 90; "...Here is what I have on my 1990 after MLPS Upgrade to F5TP-7F293-AA...First, look at this diagram, specifically the lower connector, for reference... Then I have as follows...#1 - Blank, #2 - Light Blue/Yellow Stripe, #3 - Black/White Stripe, #4 - Blank, #5 - Red/Black Stripe, #6 - Violet/Orange Stripe, #7 - Black/Violet Stripe, #8 - White/Red Stripe; Be advised that Red might be Pink and Violet might be Purple, it is hard to see with a flashlight. And, these wires no longer match up to my Haynes MLPS Schematic..." 

url=http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/754896_1]mlpsconnectors.jpg[/url]
Source: by Seattle FSB (SeSeSeattleFSB)

Adjustment Info; "...back-probe the MLP line with a volt meter while in Park, and set it to between 4.277 and 4.736 volts (ideally at 4.5065V, right in the middle of the two limits). As a "double-check" afterward, pull the lever down to 1st gear, and again test the MLP voltage; it should be between 0.293 and 1.167 volts, ideally in the middle at 0.73V..." 

Source: by SigEpBlue

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Forgot to highlight that starter feed is Red/LB pin 8.

One more wiring diagramin a 90 Bronco in attachment below.

Did you change the flex plate?

Can you provide a summary of the swap?   We can feature it here.

Screenshot_20170527-114026.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Broncophil1990

Broncophil1990

Reaction score
I was able to trace down the wires for the neutral safety switch and have them connected to the ignition and the "S" terminal on the starter solenoid. now it starts every time! I am currently setting up the rest of the computer to the Bronco to include the tachometer, speedometer, cruise controls, reverse lights, etc. I did not change the flex plate. The E4OD came with a torque converter. I will write up a summary of the whole project once I have finished. There might be more hiccups (you never know)

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Great!

What year EEC IV is in your Bronco?

Post ifmyou need any specific wiring diagrams

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Phil,

See http://www.fuelinjectedford.com/page17.html by Ryan.

Some excerpts;

EEC Program Codes
catchcodes01.jpgEvery computer has a main sticker on the 60-pin connector that identifies the computer and holds the most information about the computer. If you have an EEC in your hands and wonder what it came out of this list is for you. If you are looking for an EEC in a junkyard or swap meets this is for you too. If you just wondered what computers Ford used in which vehicle this is also for you. I would not be upset if you printed this page off for your records, in fact I recommend taking it with you so you have an advantage finding that special EEC.

catchcodes02.jpg

CODE ENGINE VEHICLE NOTE

EXAMPLES:

8PV 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 SD-Bank / AOD
RG 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 SD-Bank / AOD
Versus;

E1A1 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 SD-Bank / E4OD
X2Z2 5.8 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 SD-Bank / E4OD
See many more codes.

BTW, you are one of the few to return here recently after receiving info.  Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

littlejarv21

Reaction score
So i am doing a very similar project I have an 86 Ford F150 the had a 5.0 and an aod and I converted it to a 94 351 and I'm putting the transmission that went behind it in my truck which is an e4od what do I have to do to disengage the neutral safety switch and what do I'll have to find to make everything else work because I should have the same shifter column as you so I should be doing almost the exact same swap please let me know I'd be greatly appreciated thank you

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom