Any advice for reviving 78 Bronco Ranger XLT

jimko

I am helping my daughter with her newly acquired (for free!) '78 Bronco. Odometer shows 3k miles (103k likely and hopefully). Don't know if its a 351 or a 400. It has sat for 8 years due to not passing smog. At this point we are just going to try and get it to turn over but before doing that I was advised to squirt ATF in the cylinders before rotating the crank to help loosen the rings. The oil looks clean and full on the dipstick, the coolant is full and not dirty, and the trans fluid is a nice reddish color. I am not sure whether it would be better to go to a 4 barrel carb and intake if that will jeopardize passing smog, the old 2 barrel was rusty corroded junk so thinking of 2 barrel replacement for starters and upgrade later. Also there was a rats nest on top of the motor so the ignition wires are chewed up. Starting with new plug wires, the plugs all looked ok with some black carbon so I just cleaned, re-gapped, and re-installed them.
So that's where things are at the moment, I would appreciate any advice before we try and get things rotating.

Thanks in advance!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Yo jimko,
Welcome!
We had a great 78 Bronco bonding project too!!
The 351M and almost all 400's have the large bell housing pattern like the 429/460. The only 100% positive way to tell if you have a 351M or 400 is to drop the oil pan and check the casting numbers on the crank. They should be on the side of the first counterweight. A 400 crank will have 5M, 5MA or 5MAB casting code. Read more @ https://www.fordification.com/tech/... 351M and almost all,5MA or 5MAB casting code.

Here is some 78 Bronco info for you:

1978 Bronco Dealer Brochure via member Indybronco

MANY 78 Parts Break-Out Diagrams by member Indybronco (Lula Mae) @ pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

1978 Bronco Emission Component Location Diagrams via 78brncoxlt

1978 Ford Bronco & Truck Wiring Diagrams by Ford via member BroncMom @ Demo78 wiring diagram.pdf

1979 Bronco/F Series Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual via member Ziggy; similar to 78.

1979 Wiring Schematics, Connector Pin-outs, etc by member Ranger429 @ 79 wiring schematics
Similar to 78

See Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop by Dave Resch @ Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop. 8
includes 2150

78 351M/400 Engine Exhaust Emission Control Information Decal & Timing by member grovermyson @ Timing - Do I need to do anything ?

Partial Chilton Manual for 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 Bronco. Scanned by broncocity.com @ Bronco City

Ford Shop Manual Diagrams: 1978-1979 Full Size Shop Manuals, partial @ Technical Diagrams Archives
My Tablet takes too long to download, so try the first in this list as long as you have Adobe Acrobat 9 installed. Let me know if the downloads are worth the effort.
Includes:
Wiring Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Rear Lights Diagram
Motor Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Air Cleaner Diagram
Chassis Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes '78 Brakes Diagram, Gas Tank Setup Diagram
Body Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes; Upper Body Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, heater Ducts Diagram, Tailgate Diagram, Console Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, Grill Setup Diagram, Heater Controls Diagram, Interior Trip Diagram, Rear Sheetmetal Diagram, Tilt wheel Diagram, Tire Rack.

Al

jimko

Yo jimko,
Welcome!
We had a great 78 Bronco bonding project too!!
The 351M and almost all 400's have the large bell housing pattern like the 429/460. The only 100% positive way to tell if you have a 351M or 400 is to drop the oil pan and check the casting numbers on the crank. They should be on the side of the first counterweight. A 400 crank will have 5M, 5MA or 5MAB casting code. Read more @ https://www.fordification.com/tech/engineID-V8.htm#:~:text=The 351M and almost all,5MA or 5MAB casting code.

Here is some 78 Bronco info for you:

1978 Bronco Dealer Brochure via member Indybronco

MANY 78 Parts Break-Out Diagrams by member Indybronco (Lula Mae) @ pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

1978 Bronco Emission Component Location Diagrams via 78brncoxlt

1978 Ford Bronco & Truck Wiring Diagrams by Ford via member BroncMom @ Demo78 wiring diagram.pdf

1979 Bronco/F Series Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual via member Ziggy; similar to 78.

1979 Wiring Schematics, Connector Pin-outs, etc by member Ranger429 @ 79 wiring schematics
Similar to 78

See Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop by Dave Resch @ Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop. 8
includes 2150

78 351M/400 Engine Exhaust Emission Control Information Decal & Timing by member grovermyson @ Timing - Do I need to do anything ?

Partial Chilton Manual for 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 Bronco. Scanned by broncocity.com @ Bronco City

Ford Shop Manual Diagrams: 1978-1979 Full Size Shop Manuals, partial @ Technical Diagrams Archives
My Tablet takes too long to download, so try the first in this list as long as you have Adobe Acrobat 9 installed. Let me know if the downloads are worth the effort.
Includes:
Wiring Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Rear Lights Diagram
Motor Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Air Cleaner Diagram
Chassis Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes '78 Brakes Diagram, Gas Tank Setup Diagram
Body Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes; Upper Body Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, heater Ducts Diagram, Tailgate Diagram, Console Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, Grill Setup Diagram, Heater Controls Diagram, Interior Trip Diagram, Rear Sheetmetal Diagram, Tilt wheel Diagram, Tire Rack.

Al
That's very helpful and I appreciate the reply! As it is my daughter's I am just passing the info along. She wants to create her own vision.

jimko

Thanks and much appreciated! The way I see it I want to help her but allow her to make her own choices (within reason). If she wants to bang on rocks then I might advise her that she should get a Jeep!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tspang80