Advice on ignition upgrades for 1969 302?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joe bronco

Reaction score
I'm new to the Bronco world bought a EB from an original owner. Wagon style 3 on the tree(that brought back fond memories) 302.

I've solved most of the electrical and fuel problems and trying to decide on ignition upgrades?

The old days taught me alot about points and condenser issues. I want it to be a daily driver with some reliablity?

She is running a little rough so I'm checking plugs and wires, dist. cap etc. Any advice would be great?

Thanks

joe bronco

PS. having a ball turning wrenches again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bronc76

Reaction score
I'm new to the Bronco world bought a EB from an original owner. Wagon style 3 on the tree(that brought back fond memories) 302.I've solved most of the electrical and fuel problems and trying to decide on ignition upgrades?

The old days taught me alot about points and condenser issues. I want it to be a daily driver with some reliablity?

She is running a little rough so I'm checking plugs and wires, dist. cap etc. Any advice would be great?

Thanks

joe bronco

PS. having a ball turning wrenches again.

jb- try browsing through summit racing, they have distributors or points to electronic ignition conversion kits that you can install if you want some reliability.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"...running a little rough so I'm checking plugs and wires, dist. cap etc."

This is what I'd do as well...., as I'd want to know "why" it's runn'n rough, B/4 any parts swapping.

Could be timing chain/timing., vacuum leak., fuel/carb., ...or... worst case., compression.

Elect. ignition doesn't really come into play until high RPM's

OP
OP
J

joe bronco

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the info.

I did find the problem #6 plug was fouled so it may be time for wires and a compression check?

Some of the plugs were the right color others a little dark?

Has anyone used the jeff's ignition goodies for a points to electronic conversion?

joe bronco

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

joe bronco

Reaction score
They are kinda high but MSD ignition components are the best... welcome to the addiction!
Truly an addiction but I guess It could be worse? I'll look at MSD, thanks.

Main reason for the the interest in a conversion is occasionally the backfiring out of the tailpipe.

Give it a good pump on the accelerator and it will come back to life for a second until the next time.

Some experience has taught me that a vacuum problem is the cause?

I'm going to replace the vaccuum control (cone shaped) on the intake manifiold and the advance on the distributor to hopefully cure it of that? look for intake leaks, clean some fittings,hoses, etc.

Advice is always welcome

joe

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
I believe its called petronixs, a retrofit for your points distribritor too electronic, said and done runs fires everytime on the 65 mustang, with a clean fuel system, check that too....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22