Adding an OEM Cigar Lighter to a '73 Bronco Ranger Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbeardbiii

Reaction score
I wanted to add an OEM cigar lighter to my '73 Bronco Ranger dash. I reviewed the dash set-up with a factory cigar lighter to determine where to place it on the dash. Drilled a 7/8" hole & inserted it with no issues. In order to keep it on continuously I Connected a 14 gauge wire w/a built in fuse & spliced it to the "red" wire going to the lights since it is hot all the time. Now, everything's dead. No lights, hazard, wipers, & won't turn over! Is there something that I could've tripped somewhere? I didn't check the fuse for the lights since nothing's working I would think it's something in the engine bay but need some assistance in trying to run it down. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Sounds like you created some sort of short.  I'd start by removing it from the splice.  Then check your battery for charge and if not around 12V (engine not runnning), remove and have it charged using a battery charger, (you should not charge a discharged battery with the alternator, it is too ******* the alternator and may cause it to fail or seriously shorten the alternators life).  Then see if everything is back to shuff before atttempting the ligter hookup again. 

Was this an immediate problem or when you came out the next morning everything was dead?

:)>-

There is also the possibility that you blew the fusable link that feeds those components.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
I'd say Seabroncs answers/suggestions & questions are "spot-on"

I would only add that I don't think the EB's had fusable links yet.

AND.., not a big fan of "splicing" into other electrical systems. (not to mention wire damage)

I mounted & hot wired a 6 port fuse-block to my firewall. To this I wired up any add-ons"

like C.B.,  radio, tach, etc.

I know what you're thinking.., a 7/11 Bic cig. lighter is look'n real good now........ <_<   ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
bigbeardbiii

bigbeardbiii

Reaction score
Thanks to both. First off, it was immediate. After the splice connection I pushed the lighter in & nothing. Then turned on the dome light (nothing), then wipers (nothing) then tried to start (nothing). I checked the fuses in fuse panel & all were good. I then removed the splice & then put my charging box to the battery & it lite up green so, batteries fine. What about what appears to be a relay type box on passenger rear of engine bay which is on the firewall directly in front of the fuse panel (could I have tripped something in there or the selinoid oblong piece attached to the outside driver's side bottom right of the box? Here's a link to the pictures of the two items http://www.supermotors.net/registry/27354/85037  

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
That is your voltage regulator. It is solid-state meaning it is an up-grade from the original "contact pointed"

voltage regulator. (orig. had a black removable top, & was taller)

However.., I'm not sure that's the factory location for the regulator.

Does it have the flat plug that pushes on to 4 male blade connectors.?

Pic doesn't show much.., can you shoot one showing the wires..?

Having said that.., some folks do use voltage regulators for "relays"  Look around to see if there's another regulator

mounted somewhere.  If so.., then this is a "PO add-on relay"

OP
OP
bigbeardbiii

bigbeardbiii

Reaction score
I found a wire going to the positive connector of the starter solenoid that had been spliced several times & appeared to be frayed. I discarded the old splice & an inch or so of wiring on each side of it   http://www.supermotors.net/registry/27354/85051-2  . I then put a new wire connector on it & EVERYTHING works now! I don't understand what could have happened since I didn't touch that wire at all when installing the cigar lighter. The only thing I can figure is that it must have sent an overload through the wire & it fried the wires at the old splice (?). Any way it works now! Thanks for all assistance! Regards, Dean 

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Good job Dean...!

At some point in time, disconnect the + bat. cable..., remove the bolts that hold the solenoid in place.

Clean the spot (on the fender well) it rests against/sits on.  Clean the back of the solenoid mount & the bolts.

This is important as this is where the solenoid gets its ground. (good contact with the fender well)

Thanks for the feed-back. This helps other viewers/members.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom