A bunch of questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lukeyboy60

Reaction score
I took a vacation recently and had alot of time to think about my bronco. There are a few questions that I have, so I'll just put them all on one post.

74, 302, three on the column, pretty much all stock

1. Shifter gets stuck in third sometimes. The only way I can get it out is to go underneath and push up on the rod where it meets the trany. This is some trouble at a red light!

2. Having a hard time getting the J-shifter into 4H N and 4L. When I try to move it to the left out of 2H, the shifter feels like it "rolls".

3. My hub locks do not click when I try to lock them. They aren't hard to turn but I can't seem to get them to lock. These are the originals. I thought about just getting some new ones. Any suggestions on which name brand to go with or suggestions on something I should do to try to fix them? Dana 44

One day everything will work properly! Then I will get bored and have to buy another one and start tinkering with it.

Thanks for all the help.

S_bolt19

Reaction score
1. Your shift linkage is shot. Easy fix is to get a floor shifter from WH, Tom's or one of the other parts houses.

2. Your shift linkage is shot. Would be a great time to switch to twin sticks and have controll over both axles at seperate times.

3. Your hubs are shot, no not really, I was just going with a theme there. BUT you could get a set of Warn Premium hubs. I haven't used them but know guys who have and absolutely love them. The first thing that comes to mind is that the spring may be worn out or the ear tabs on the plastic lock are worn down. You can get replacement parts, but hey, why not go for the Warns?

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
You might be able to adjust the linkage. Sounds like its just slightly off.

The t-case J shifter could be loose. Check the bolts.

Most times you never hear the hubs lock in unless the gears inside align perfectly. Once you drive forwards they will drop in and its locked.

That the whole reason why you back up to release the hubs. Just turning them doesn't disengage the gear. You have to get the pressure off. reverse works the best but going forwards can pop them out to.

Or jack up the tire and rotate it and see if the axle shaft is moving. If not you need new hubs or they need a good cleaning.

OP
OP
L

lukeyboy60

Reaction score
Thanks for the input fellas.

I would rather stick with the column shifter and the j-shift because the rest of my bronco is stock. Might end up having to change the whole linkage. I took the boot off of the J-shifter and saw where it was "rolling". It is happening right where the shift shaft meets the t-case. I will check the bolts on the t-case. I believe the hubs are shot. I jacked it up and locked them and the drive shaft didn't turn. Remember, these things are 30+ years old. I think they have put there time in. How difficult is it to change them? I appreciate the knowledge ya'll have to offer. Makes these things alot easier.

OP
OP
L

lukeyboy60

Reaction score
Just to keep ya'll updated. I put a set of Warn hubs on the front end and they work great. very easy to change also. Bought a new J-shift from JBG. A few problems that I stated in another post. The shift rod bushings were worn out. so I changed them and adjusted the linkage and it works fine. Thanks for the info. :)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo