94 XLT periodic starting problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottwhitt

Reaction score
I have a 94 Bronco XLT and lately have been having some starting problems. They have been very infrequent but have been getting more and more frequent. What will have is I will try and start it and it will crank but not start or kick, whichever term you like. All the power is fine it will just not turn over. Now if I let it set for 5-10 minutes it is fine.

I am a dog walker, I know bad car for that occupation, and I have a steady route. I seems to happen after I get to a house at the start of my day and when I get back outside after 30 minutes it won't start. It sets for awhile and everything is good. The only thing is this last time it had to sit for 30 minutes. It would do this every couple of weeks but it happened twice this week.

I took it to my mechanic and he could not figure it out. He did the same routine but it worked fine for him. He said it sounded like the fuel pump or ignition switch but could not figure out which.

I would appreciate any help.

wolf83

Reaction score
take my advice with a grain of salt, cuz i'm not a mechanic, but a similar thing happened to me -- a few different times.

first time - it turns out the fuel pickup line (not sure what it's called) was getting clogged by debris in my fuel tank. my solution: i have to keep over 1/4 tank of fuel to keep from picking up debris. when i finally get around to dropping the tank and cleaning it this won't be a problem anymore.

second time: this one was caused by the first time. in my attempt to solve it, i inadvertently left a fuel line hose clamp loose. it was no big deal at first, since the rubber hose was still tight from having the clamp around it. since i don't drive my bronco much and not very far, it was a few months before the pressure from the fuel pump and the vibration of the motor finally loosened the hose enough to where the fuel was leaking from the hose. it would start, but only after begging and pleading with it. i would crank a long time just to get enough fuel in the filter and the fuel line so that when i let it rest a little bit and then try again, it would work. (after it set for a while, gravity would drip the fuel out of the hose).

one day i noticed the drip from the hose so i tightened it. now it starts right up like it should.

you may not have a loose hose, but you may have a pinhole leak.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo, Try a Self Test by BroncoJoe19 http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/page__pid__74587__mode__threaded

Try to run it around to get engine @ Normal Operating Temperature

Have all accessories and light off

shut it off

do the KOEO = Key On Engine Off portion first

then turn it back on if you can and do the KOER portion

& Remember to have engine @ Normal Operating Temperature before doing the KEY ON ENGINE RUNNING (KOER) portion

Post any Codes found here.

a guess; based on Heat; Hall Effect (Profile Ignition Pick-up (PIP) Signal, Stator, RPM)

or TPS

2percent

Reaction score
i had this happen in a dodge intrepid was a temp sensor between a certain temp it would not crank replaced it and ran like a champ till i blew her up pos dodges. Who knew they dont like to be reved to 6 grand and nuetral slams

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar