'89 Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JWham55

Reaction score
Hey

My grandpa bought a new bronco back in '89 and I'm just turning 16. The vehicle is completely stock, and I just had a few questions about upgrades. Let me just say up front that the financial backing here is pretty weak so I would like to keep the prices reasonable if at all possible. The tires on this truck are, for lack of a better term, wimpy, what would be your suggestions for some off road shoes for this beast(but nothing too extreme). Next I figured if I was getting new tires I might need new rims, once again bear in mind my financial situation when leaving your suggestions. Also, I thought that if I got bigger tires I might need a lift so if I do could you please tell me the specs for the ideal choice. Finally I've been looking around on the internet and saw that people like to cut the back off of the machines to make them look like trucks. This intrigues me. So I was wondering if it was possible to do this and still be able to use the second seat, and what I could do during the winter(when it is cold)top-wise, Because being ******* in the winter is just not good. All the information possessed by anyone on the subjects are deeply appreciated. You can E-Mail me at [email protected].

Thank You [-o<

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone > . Sounds like you got a nice gift, post some pictures. Also, list some of the specs like engine, transmission, differential ratio, etc.

As far as tires go, 31 x 10.5 x 15 will easily go on the stock rims which have a 7 inch rim width. You can go to 33 x 15.5's but that requires at least a 3 inch body lift to prevent problems off road with the tires hitting the edge of wheel well, you could wreck a nice set of tires by doing that. Also with 33 x 12.5's you will most likely need to change the gear ration in the differentials as well as getting a new set of rims. 33 x 12.5s mounted on anything less than a 8.5 inch wide rim is a violation of the manufacturer specification and could cause a serious accident if the bead pops. Unless you are lucky enough to find a used set of rims that could set you back more than the tires.

As far as the back being cut off. I think what you are seeing is the cap being removed. It isn't cut off, it is designed to come off by removing a few bolts along the edge and the cab roof line, don't loose the hardware you need it to put it back on (unless you are a gorilla it takes atleast 2 people to lift the cap off). If you do take it off you may need to buy new gaskets for when you want to put it back, they tend to dry out and get stiff and fail to seal properly. You can also find a soft top for the back at some place like Jeff's Bronco Graveyard http://www.broncograveyard.com .

You can still use the back seat, but unless you have a roll bar the rear seat passengers are dead if you roll over. Of course they aren't much safer with the cap on and no roll bar. I have seen a few Broncs that have rolled and that area isn't where I'd like to be. Also, if you have rear seat sholder belts, they need a bar to attach to.

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Let me say, you're the most articulate 16 yr. old I've seen in a long time..! :D/ Are you an english major..? GOOD JOB..! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Anyway, you're looking at a "minimum" of $7-8 hundred for tires & wheels....& probably the same for a lift kit. If that's with-in your budget, Costco has some good deals on tires, etc. Most all the Bronco stores have the lift kits & prices are pretty close.

Enjoy your ride..! B)

OP
OP
J

JWham55

Reaction score
Let me say, you're the most articulate 16 yr. old I've seen in a long time..! :D/   Are you an english major..?  GOOD JOB..!  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />Anyway, you're looking at a "minimum" of $7-8 hundred for tires & wheels....& probably the same for a lift kit.  If that's with-in your budget,  Costco has some good deals on tires, etc.  Most all the Bronco stores have the lift kits & prices are pretty close.

Enjoy your ride..!  B)

23353[/snapback]

Thanks alot and no I'm not an english major :)) I just talk really well :)>-

Anyways I was wondering, Are you sure that that is the least I could spend because between tires, lift, stereo etc its gona cost about 3 grand and that alot of money for someone working for minimum wage :((

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Yes, you could go "cheaper" but remember, "you get what you pay for."

White spoke steel wheels are $30 or so....there's no sense buying cheap tires unless you plan on never going on freeways or rough trails.

May I suggest you plug a "walk-man" in your ears for a while...? That $1000 stereo won't get you out of a rut back in the boonies..!

What part of this fine country do you reside..? Out here in this desert, we see cheap tire carcass' all over the roadside. @-)

OP
OP
J

JWham55

Reaction score
Yes, you could go "cheaper" but remember, "you get what you pay for."White spoke steel wheels are $30 or so....there's no sense buying cheap tires unless you plan on never going on freeways or rough trails.

May I suggest you plug a "walk-man" in your ears for a while...? That $1000 stereo won't get you out of a rut back in the boonies..!

What part of this fine country do you reside..?

OP
OP
J

JWham55

Reaction score
I dont live in any desert thats for sure :rolleyes: I live in southern Illinois not a whole lot really serious trails around here just alot of field roads, farm fields, and mud pits.  I don't really want the huge mud tires because this will also be an every day driver.  :mellow:
23361[/snapback]

I forgot, if you could tell me good brands and websites where these items are available coul you please list them. >

Bradt

Reaction score
If you're just going to be running dirt roads and areas without too much heavy mud, then I would put the lift on hold and maybe get the tires. You can always switch the rims out later if that's your choice.

If it were me, I would get it running right and get the inside comfortable first, then focus on performance mods with the engine if that was the route I was going. Get it breathing better, and running the way you want it, then look for the tires/lift. But then I'm a function over form guy.

Just do it a little at a time, or you're gonna be spending a lot of money right off the bat. You've got something that works now, so why rush it?

brad

stubby

Reaction score
welcome... i just picked up some 31 10.50 15 mud tires st the local walmart, installed for $430. cheap upgrade for trail riding and i've already been pulling chevy p/u's out of the sand.. take a look at all the web sites people have given you and write done a plan- suspension/ steering should come first- come up with a plan and stick to it. might take a while, some things get expensive, but if you do it rite, you'll have quite an impressive truck by senior year. broncograveyard.com has some really nice stuff at a really decent price, bumpers, roll bars, stuff like that. start with the important stuff- BRAKES, shocks, fluid changes( front & rear diff, transfer case, oil, trans)the maint. stuff- make sure the truck is going to keep running before adding to much...you'll need that before all the show stuff Good Luck and God Bless... have fun getting muddy.. stubby

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
3 inch body lift is about 130 dollars and will clear 33s. dunlop mud rovers are very inexpensive complared to other brands and are pretty well liked by most people ive talked to that have em.

BubbaMahan

Reaction score
Jwham,

Welcome to the Zone. Where in Southern Ill. are you? I live in the Paducah,KY area. I have a 1988 Bronco and just purchased new tires for it, here locally.

OP
OP
J

JWham55

Reaction score
Jwham,Welcome to the Zone. Where in Southern Ill. are you?  I live in the Paducah,KY area. I have a 1988 Bronco and just purchased new <A title="Best tires" style="COLOR: #65b45c; TEXT-DECORATION: underline" href="http://69.42.87.204/cgi-bin/ezlclk.fcgi?id=9469" target=_blank>tires</A> for it, here locally.

23807[/snapback]

We actually arent too far I live about 80 miles east of st. louie and ive been to paducah a few times. Neway thanx alot for the adviceabout the tires and that lift but the thing is the quality at wal-mart stores is questionable so info on that would be appreciated and I was also thinkin ''33 is the way to go and from the way I understand things dunlop is a good brand so $430 sounds like a good deal neway remember anyone who can tell me anything is appreciated

brad050

Reaction score
I put 33x10.50 r15's on my stock 89 bronco. with your budget I would hold off on the lift unless you are doing ********* off-roading. make sure things are running right and go with the tires and what ever and hold off on the lift B) That's what i would do

HallNBallz

Reaction score
I put 33x10.50 r15's on my stock 89 bronco. with your budget I would hold off on the lift unless you are doing ********* off-roading. make sure things are running right and go with the tires and what ever and hold off on the lift B) That's what i would do

Those 33" tires dont rub??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno