88 FSB 4.9l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ledroyjr

Reaction score
Not starting, long story short have re[placed a lot of parts because the rig sat for a number of years. new coil, spark plugs, spark plug wires, went to replace dist. cap but one of the screws holding the cap snapped off, tried to drill out no luck. So replaced the dist. Manually turned engine over to get cylinder 1 to top dead center, continued to move engine over to align timing mark to 0 on the engine marker bracket. Had marked old dist. for cylinder 1, matched up new dist. for same. Set rotor to point to cylinder 1 mark and installed new dist. went in and looks about like old was before. Replaced MAP sensor, fuel relay because pump was not coming on. Replaced another relay that I do not remember the name of, I think EEC the one that sends voltage to fuel relay because I was getting half the voltage required now voltage is correct. Replaced fuel filter in front of fuel pump. Still not starting, so put a fuel pressure gauge on the shrader valve, KOEO 0 pressure. KO engine turning over about 9 pounds of pressure. Replaced fuel pump on side of chassis. Same exact readings on the fuel pressure gauge. And no fuel out the relief on the gauge either time just air. Any help would be appreciated, I am at a loss. Thanks.

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
When you turn the key tothe on position do you hear the fuel pump prime?

OP
OP
L

ledroyjr

Reaction score
Yes you can hear the pump prime, I even got under and felt the pump work when my wife turned the key on. I have now removed the line from the filter between the pump and the fuel rail and no fuel out the filter when the engine is turned over.

bubbatron

Reaction score
If you're pulling your hair out, banging your head against the intake manifold, yelling at your dog, and throwing parts your rig? I know you're pain!!! Been there, done that and will visit there again- it's just a matter of time!!
My buddies bronco was testing my patience for about a month and it turned out to be the hall effect sensor/ pick up coil inside the distributor. It was a brand new distributor too!! Freaking crib death!! New part, that don't work!! I'm seeing that more and more lately. Aftermarket parts are getting worse, and worse.
Also, change the ignition control module [ as I have yet to find a reliable way to check them] Some are on the distributor, some are on the inside of the fender.
Hope this helps, good luck!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom