85 winch question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Rennie,
" I have a reese on the front of my 85, or at least the cover plug says reese on it. Mine comes out thru a hole cut in the bumper where a licence plate would go. I have 12v running to two studs to hook the winch up. These 12v studs have a shut off near my second battery so they aren't 'hot' until I need it.

Only pic I have at the moment.

img_20151129_085604437.jpg

Mine was from CO where they have to have a front plate too. It was mounted on the driver side of the bumper.

The hitch doesn't stick out but a couple inches, and the pin hole is just outside of the bumper. It is closer to the end of the receiver than most pin holes.
...the pin hole spacing is only a problem if it's too far from the end or way too close. Mine is a bit farther away that the pic you posted
Current: '85 Bronco, by BigBlue 94

Aldie693 wrote back to BigBlue 94, "
The hole spacing is a key measurement since it's almost standard on drawbars. In my plan I'm planning on purchasing a raw receiver tube and welding it to a frame work that I build.

e5b4616a5e45a2fb93577182abbe56e1.jpg

Also, on my F350 I mounted a continuous duty solenoid under the hood with a toggle switch to activate it on the dash. When I wanted winch power I flip the toggle and got full truck power via an Anderson connector. I had one wired to the front and one wired to the rear. Here's the Anderson connector.

03e43d1de2adbe76549e4d30dd9f1b44.jpg

I also made up a set of jumper cables with a connector. The cables were about 25' long and two-aught cable. With this arrangement I can use the winch on any vehicle with a receiver and power it from the battery via my jumper cables."

GL!
Al

chrlsful

Reaction score
my only caveat is: do not make it 'stick out'. Make the winch have 'the stick out'. When wrkin around the frnt (or even the rear) shins get whacked, clothing get ripped when 'sticking out'.
I use one winch, stored until going some where needed, for both frnt and back of the rig. It hasa set of handles, roller fairlead, remote etc. When plugged into wiring the under-hood solenoid (there for out of weather durability), use switch, 2nd battery, etc come into play. HTH~

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo