73 Radiator Surge Tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RockyBoy

Reaction score
Did the 73 Broncos have stock radiator surge tanks on them? I have a 73 that had some front end damage done a few decades back. The radiator was replaced and is too small so it overheats. There hasn't been a surge tank on it since that old radiator was installed. I'm going to replace it with the high efficiency aluminum radiator from TBP and am wondering if I should throw a surge tank in while I'm at it.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Rocky., Welcome...

1st. do fill in your info/signature pages as it makes things a bunch easier...

Explain in detail, this "too small" radiator...??

If it's is, in fact, a stock rad. it's usually the correct size.

Overheating could be a clogged rad. or cruded up block, or poss. just a bad thermostat.

I would flush the whole system with an auto-parts kit first to see just what comes out. Check T-stat.

That new rad. is nice but could be over-****.

--- should throw a surge tank in while I'm at it? ---

This can't hirt a thing., cheap., & most every rig has one.

Long/short...a new rad. may be just a "band-aid"

OP
OP
R

RockyBoy

Reaction score
Hi Rocky., Welcome...

1st. do fill in your info/signature pages as it makes things a bunch easier...

Explain in detail, this "too small" radiator...??

If it's is, in fact, a stock rad. it's usually the correct size.

Overheating could be a clogged rad. or cruded up block, or poss. just a bad thermostat.

I would flush the whole system with an auto-parts kit first to see just what comes out. Check T-stat.

That new rad. is nice but could be over-****.

--- should throw a surge tank in while I'm at it? ---

This can't hirt a thing., cheap., & most every rig has one.

Long/short...a new rad. may be just a "band-aid"
Thanks Bully Bob for the info. The radiator was found in a junk yard and is from an old chrysler car. My brother put it in and it's about 4 inches narrower and a couple inches taller than the stock radiator. It's got alot of fins that are bent and three spots that leak unless you feed it alot of stop leak. The hood won't close because it's too tall and it has overheated ever since it was put in. I don't mind spending the money on a new radiator that fits the rig, I just wasn't sure if it had a surge tank in it before the original stuff was ripped out.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Ah.., that makes sense...!

A good flushing is still good idea while the old rad. is on there. This would protect the new rad.

If you need the rad. hangars...Tom's is close to you & would have those parts to put you back to stock. Also the fan shroud.

Depending on your usage., a stock or 4 core rad. may serve you well W/O the expense of alum.

You could run that by Tom's as to your usage.

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com

BTW.., I'm 95% sure yours came with a recovery bottle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke